Wendynat

Mar 4, 2008
Hi, everyone! We recently bought an AG Sharkline pool and am just waiting for it to be warm enough for installation. Well, pool place just called and it's ready for delivery then setup and now I'm :shock: . LOL! We're getting a SWG with it to try out - can always fall back to straight chlorine if needed (the BBB method).

Can't believe it's almost happening!! If anyone has any tips of things I should have on hand for when it's installed, please let me know! I'm going to order a test kit today.

Hi Wendynat,
Welcome aboard. I have an inground salt pool. Can you give us any more details on the gallons in the pool and what type of chlorine generator they will install? I would ask the folks if they will balance the water for you after they fill. Usually they dump some powder CYA and liquid chlorine to get you started.

Welcome and hope to hear more from you in the coming days.

Iggy in the cool part of Arizona. 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Sorry about the lack of details - the pool is a 54", 18' round. I haven't gone to the pool calculator to figure out gallons, but I'm guesstimating around 9K or so?

I talked to the installer last night, and they'll be coming Monday afternoon. Woo! I'll ask about the startup chemicals - I don't believe they're included, though, because my package included the salt generator and the only chems listed is ph up and ph minus. What should I have on hand - would liquid bleach and stabilizer be good enough to get it up to snuff for the SWG to maintain? Or should I plan on having anything else on hand at the initial startup?

Hi, Wendy,

Liquid Bleach (unscented, 6%) and stabilizer (CYA) are probably the two best things you could have in advance to get your pool started smoothly. Bleach from the grocery store (or Wal-Mart, etc.) and stabilzer from Lowe's or Home Depot if that's convenient for you.

As soon as your pool fills, I would put in one small jug of clorox and 2.5 lbs of stabilizer. You could get by with less clorox but I think it's a good plan to give a new pool a pretty healthy dose of sanitizer.....it'll go down on it's own in pretty short order. The 2.5 lbs of stabilizer will get you to about 70ppm....actually, as I type, I think 2 lbs would be a little better so you don't overshoot....you can always add more but it's hard to take out.

Follow PB's instructions for starting up your SWG and you should be all set. Might be just a little chilly but you'll be ready just as soon as the water warms a bit.

BTW, your kit will ship today and should be in your possession tomorrow. Thank you.

Once your pool is full, run the full set of tests and post them back up on the forum. You'll get a ton of good help. At the risk of being a little self-serving, it is really rewarding when someone like you has the foresight to get a good testkit PRIOR to starting up their pool. It will really make your start-up painless and you'll have clean, clear water all summer. :lol:

well, as far as chems, the big obvious one that is missing is salt!!

The other things you mention are also fine... you will probably NEVER need pH up, as the trend is for your pH to rise with an SWG.

You for sure will need stabilizer, or CYA, and bleach until you can get your SWG up and running. Also a good idea to start at proper FC levels so the SWG does not have to play 'catch-up'.

Enjoy your pool... oh, and get a GOOD test kit, like the one linked in my sig... the guy who 'builds' the TF100 is a regular here, and will answer any questions you have in a VERY timely manner! That will be the best investment you ever make for your pool!! (((ETA Oh, I now see you have this covered!! :oops: )))

Welcome to TFP!

Welcome,

Muratic Acid to balance the PH. Make note of your first test because these will be your water source readings. I would test CL and PH on your water source before just so you know what it is before adding chemicals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again, everyone!

Iggy - Sorry that I missed one of the first questions... the SWG is just a small one, not plumbed in-line. The pool store included it in the package to sweeten the deal, so I'm pretty sure it's the Chlor-Ease brand that's 200 or so retail. We'll see how well it works. May upgrade later this summer if we get problems with it - I'll be closely monitoring the water this first season and can supplement with liquid chlorine/CYA as needed.

Dave S - Thanks for getting it shipped out so quickly! I'm just up here in Va Beach, so it shouldn't take too long (probably be here before the pool is even installed :) ). I've been lurking on these boards for a few weeks, which taught me that the biggest thing I'd need was a good test kit! I can't wait - wasn't looking forward to driving out to the pool store any time I wanted my water "professionally" tested. Thanks for the advice on the chems - I'll hit Lowe's and grab some of that stuff to keep in the shed!

Grace - Definitely need salt! LOL - I can't believe I didn't mention that ;). Using some of the online pool calcs, it looks like I'll need 100-150 lbs of salt. Better get my arm muscles working!

JCJR - Great idea about testing the "source" water before adding chemicals - I'll definitely do that! I'm sure we have some salt in our city water, also, so I may not need to add as much as I originally thought. Thanks!

Wendynat said:
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Sorry about the lack of details - the pool is a 54", 18' round. I haven't gone to the pool calculator to figure out gallons, but I'm guesstimating around 9K or so?
Hi Wendynat, I'll add my welcome to everyone else's!

Your gallonage is actually ~7500 gal There was a post here last spring where the math is presented. Hope the pool is installed soon so you can start to enjoy it!!

Rattle Snakes in Salt pool

With your great pool testing kit you should have everything balance within a month.
Cleaning the filters is also a critical step during the spring seaon with seeds and organic stuff.
We don't have trees in Arizona. Only cactus and rattlers... LOL
And it gets really difficult to get the rattle snakes out of the salt pool.
But the salt really cures them and make them tender when deep fried. 8)

Iggy in the cool part of Arizona