Getting ready

jaydar

Mar 30, 2011
During the off season, the ony real maintenence I've done is to run pump/filter 3 hours daily and dump chlorine in about every two weeks just to keep algae at bay.

Water temp has been 78f for about 3 weeks and I'm now working to dial everything into balance.

I've super-chlorinated....swept and vacuumed and have been using TF100 kit to check chemistry.

Everything seems to be fine except CYA is not getting a reading. I purchased an 8oz bottle of R-0013 reagent , midseason last summer. Could the reagent have gone bad in 6 months?

Not very likely. It is pretty inert and, to my knowledge, we've had no reports of it going bad.

What do you expect your CYA to be? When did you test for it and get a reading?

It is not uncommon for CYA to disappear over the winter. Mine has done so twice but this winter it did not.

I have tried to maintain 70ppm although towards the end of he season last year CYA began to drop. The reason for this is unknown to me.

The funny thing is that the season before CYA was off the charts and I did two half pool drains and frefills at the beginning of last season.

Now I am careful not to really on trichlor pucks for chlorination.

We haven't had much rain so I'm not having pool water overflow and dilute.I do get evaporation and add water about once a month or so.

You certainly could get a second test done at a pool store to confirm you have zero. Not to rely upon their accuracy but to perhaps just to check for thepresence of CYA.

Other members experiences would indicate it is more likely that your CYA is really zero.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.