How may returns?

It's all a matter of preference.... I just built a 35,000 gallon pool... And had the same question... Most people here told me 2 skimmers, 2 returns... Then I went to a friend of mine that had the exact pool I have... They have maintained it for 8 years... They had one skimmer and one return, no complaints and loved it... I chose to have one skimmer and 3 returns. I like the position on my returns they push everything to the skimmer...

Common sense is a good guideline. One skimmer and one return in a 35k pool doesn't make good sense to me, regardless of the satisfaction of the owner.

3 returns in a 35k pool with 2 skimmers makes good sense. I would personally place 2 returns and two skimmers in your 22k pool.

My rule of thumb is there should be at least two returns for every skimmer. Plus, for a 22k pool, two skimmers is not unreasonable although not totally necessary. My pool has four returns and two skimmers although I could probably get away with just one skimmer. Also, if you want to keep steps and benches clean, plan for returns there too.

duraleigh said:
Common sense is a good guideline. One skimmer and one return in a 35k pool doesn't make good sense to me, regardless of the satisfaction of the owner.

3 returns in a 35k pool with 2 skimmers makes good sense. I would personally place 2 returns and two skimmers in your 22k pool.

I agree... But it is what it is.... :) ... It just goes to show you that all the theories in the world don't outweigh actual facts... I looked at their single return... Which was right next to the skimmer.... And could see that it didn't look like enough... But then again... They had kids in it everyday in the summer and were happy with it... When I asked them about it... They just said that's how the pb installed it and they really didn't know anything about it...
Not to mention... They had no drain and about 4 oak trees very close...
So when I hear all this about needing 2 skimmers and a million returns on a 20K pool or you will not be happy.... I know it's possible to do it with much less and still be fine... That's the only reason I mention it...

WhoDat? said:
So when I hear all this about needing 2 skimmers and a million returns on a 20K pool or you will not be happy.... I know it's possible to do it with much less and still be fine... That's the only reason I mention it...

Nobody said anything about "a million returns".

Ok. The reason that people come to this forum is because they are seeking advice on how to build, plan, operate, and troubleshoot their pools. They do so because we have the deepest collection of resources out there when it comes to industry experts and people who have done this for years. duraleigh and mas985 are quite qualified to advise in this area because between them, there are decades of build, management, and troubleshooting experience between them that they have to share. If you aren't sure about this, try looking at their post counts and their post histories and you will see what I mean. Bottom line is that they have been at it longer than 4 months and there are time tested and true reasons why they suggest what they do.

Back to your statement about millions of returns and such, let me suggest this. What would the problem be if one were to go ahead and add a skimmer and a return or two extra during the build phase? Perhaps some do manage to eke by with one skimmer and one return. Not saying that you can't sometimes. But I would rather have more than I need than not enough. It awful troublesome to go back later and cut into the wall of a pool in order to add these things because you thought you could get by with 1 skimmer and 1 return in a 22K gallon pool because some guy on TFP had 1 buddy who got by with that setup. Lets put it this way...PVC is cheap and easy to run during a build phase. Not so much later on.

By the way...I came here to TFP knowing very little about pools. I found that I learned a lot when I asked questions and even more when I sat back and listened to those with experience.

Reactions: Duffatola
I agree.... And I have no experience... The only experience I have is doing things as cheap as possible...I didn't have the money some of you have... I did mine for 10K but did every aspect of it myself... Maybe they want to add a bunch of unnecessary cost to the pool build to add the extra skimmers and returns... I dont know... If it's that much better why is it even a question? It should be automatic.... I was only offering my opinion... Just like you are.... Maybe they don't want the extra cost... Maybe they are saving every cent possible like I did.... I dont know... I know I'm out numbered on here about this... And that's totally fine... I'm sure it is better with 2 skimmers and a bunch of returns.. But absolutely necessary? No... I was only giving advice on what I learned while researching my build... If one person can maintain a 35K pool with one each with no problems... I can and so can you...

My pool is only around 10k gallons, but I would love to have a total of 3 returns. Currently I have 1 return, so I am constantly switching between the pool skim, the fountain, and the return eye. It would be great if I could run all 3 at once.

It should also depend on how much the skimmer can flow. Certikin a huge player in our market (Europe) have sold skimmers that have a maximum flow of 5m3/hour, they released a new high flow version last year but others have 10m3 flow rate as standard. To turn over the water completely you need to know what the skimmers capability is i.e. 2 skimmers at 5m3 or one at 10m3? more returns are needed if there are more dead spots. Getting it right means less work for the pump motor and less run time.
One of the PB companies that uses the single unit skimmer, filter,return even on large pools and the water barely moves at the far end of the pool so running the chlorine level slightly higher is needed to prevent algae growth at the far end. To try and push the return jet water (located next to skimmer) they use a pump twice the size that I would use for the same pool so costing a lot more to run and shortening the life of the salt cell because of the extra production required, so they compensate for poor design but for them an easy install but the customer has a legacy of increased cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the help. My pool has 5 returns and two skimmers and I wanted to elimate one due to some remodeling I am doing. It sounds like 4 returns will plenty and I could get by with three.
Thanks

Nice thread :goodjob:

I think a number of good points have been made here including:

1) What can your system handle (pump size, pipe size (& #), filter size - i.e. the head and what the equipment can handle/ needs)

2) Cost. Be it the up front cost of adding more lines and the expense of 'retroing' in more suctions or returns in the future.

3) Just because someone else has a 'similar' pool with X returns or skimmers, each pool is as unique as the person who owns it and ought be treated so. (I've built ~ identical pools in a few neighborhoods and those pools required different treatment, even when they were only 500 yds. apart!)

Just my $.02 :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.