New AG Pool Very Not level ground

Paris

Mar 17, 2012
Maybe someone can help me and my husband decide what is the best way to fix:
1. Had a 16' intex a few years ago. (built up pad of sand to put it on about 19 foot round. Gustave took it and with a small child decide to wait to put another pool up.
2. Want a new pool. Decided on a 21' round cameo. Water table here is high and water will sit in parts of the yard we are planning on putting the pool on by the old pad if we do not build it up. We were looking at bringing more river sand to put it on but every video we watch says not to add to. Also what is the problem of the grass growing through it? Is there something we can do to prevent that?
3. We are doing this ourselves. I have no plans to hire a contractor. Just can't decide about the foundation

Hi, welcome to tfp! A couple of members have built retaining walls to create a level pad. Others have dug down a little and added French drains to move the water away from the pool. You can use the google search at the bottom of the page to find posts about either method.

You can use a combination of chemical and physical weed blockers to protect the liner. Look for products the prevent nut grass.

Our soil type here is more like clay and there is no water table to speak of. Now with that being said, we have a 30' pool that is installed on what was uneven ground (about 6' - 7' drop). On the high side, we cut into the ground about 1'-2' and then back filled on the low side. In the picture, the fill came out horizontally about 4' from the pool and then tapered down to the yellow marker on the left.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 360
I hope this works.

IMG_1898.jpg

I think my husband has made an executive decision and we are having a truck load of "sandy land" dumped on Wednesday. If anyone has any suggestions on how the foundation needs to be done to do this please let me know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
every tutorial we have seen on installing an above ground pool says you have to take the grass out and not to fill in with any dirt cause the foundation has to be hard. So will something happen to this pool if we build up and put it on the sand? As well can someone recommend a bottom for it? I have researched some and found the Gorilla one and another one. The perfect pool bottom seems to be the better of the two. But would like to hear from someone about them.

Paris said:
ry tutorial we have seen on installing an above ground pool says you have to take the grass out and not to fill in with any dirt cause the foundation has to be hard. So will something happen to this pool if we build up and put it on the sand? As well can someone recommend a bottom for it? I have researched some and found the Gorilla one and another one. The perfect pool bottom seems to be the better of the two. But would like to hear from someone about them.
I would definitely not put the supports on sand!!! The sand will erode and you will have a disaster. Remove the grass then pick your lowest area and dig the rest of the pool area down to that. Only use sand to put under the liner.

The dirt foundation needs to be hard packed, otherwise the weight of the water may cause the pool to shift if you are relying on sand only to level the ground. Sand is used to form the floor and cove of the pool. Some folks use the gorilla pad or other foam pads on top of the sand, and use stick on foam coves around the inside base.

My pool has a sand bottom, but many here use the gorilla pad or happy bottom and really like them. You just need to make sure it lays flat with no bumps or wrinkles.

This is a good how to install above ground pool video.

thank you zeal I will watch that a little later. Hubby has instructed me that the "sand" is not sand and is sandy land so it packs quickly. We cannot dig into the river sand that is there cause it will cause the pool to sit in water when it rains here. (Can't have the pool in a pool of water) If you look at the picture the pool will go from the trampoline to the swing and towards the house. Would the use of cement pads help with stabilizing the pool?

Paris said:
Hubby has instructed me that the "sand" is not sand and is sandy land so it packs quickly. We cannot dig into the river sand that is there cause it will cause the pool to sit in water when it rains here. (Can't have the pool in a pool of water) If you look at the picture the pool will go from the trampoline to the swing and towards the house. Would the use of cement pads help with stabilizing the pool?
I still would dig. It is not a problem is the pool bottom is submerged occasionally, but it will be a problem if/when your built up base shifts. If you decided to add, make sure you use a compactor many times while adding soil. Clay is better than sandy soil.

Um, it might just be my crazy paranoia, but I dont think I would ever consider putting an AG pool UPHILL from my house. At least not without some serious planning ahead and some sort of berm for diverting the water in case of a puncture. A catastrophic failure of the liner could destroy your home!

Linen is correct. you can add drainage around the base of the pool to prevent water from collecting there. If you don't have a stable foundation then somewhere down the road you face the possibility of pool failure and you don't want 10k+ gallons of water headed for your back door.

Not worried about my house, it is 2 feet off the ground. It would maybe flood my carport but so does the rain every time it rains hard. That is the problem when it rains in South Louisiana at any point we have water in the yard for a few days or days of rain that takes a while to dry up. I am not sure the difference in the height of the pool pad and lower ground would be enough to do a retaining wall. But I will look into that today...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.