New Forum Member - Been looking for a forum community

bjsbuds

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 16, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Good evening,

Our pool was built 10 years ago. I am really looking forward to advice on several topics from forum moderators and members.

I will post my questions in the proper subsections, but here's is an overview of what I am hoping to gain answers / advice:

- My electric bills have increased from $150 per month for the first three years of operation to over $500 per month the last two summers. I replaced my two-speed pump three years ago as my original 1 hp two-speed pump kept failing. Being a bargin hunter, I purchased a 1 1/2 hp two-speed pump from an on-line vendor (have read lots of negative feedback on this vendor since my purchase), and I have worried that the pump is not quite right and I now believe I purchased way more hp than I needed. I installed the pump myself, so who knows maybe I did something wrong. I am willing to do whatever is necessary to lower my electric bills by at least $200 per month.

- While I rarely run my pool heater, it has now failed. Well, the digital readout displays nothing but weird characters. Guessing I need to replace the circuit board.

- I would really like to find ways to lower my pool maintenance since my peak work times are in the summer months. I have been reading about salt water chlorinators. Really would like advice and suggestions on these.

- I am replacing my pool liner because it is faded, the pool floor (vermiculite) has some spots that need repair, and we had to continually put water in the pool last year, so I am thinking I have a leak. While I am doing this I wonder if there is anything else I should consider doing.

Again, I am looking forward to everyone's suggestions, and moving forward with another enjoyable 10 years of pool ownership.

Welcome to TFP!

Unless your electric rates are insane, you can't be using more than about a fourth of that bill on your pump. At .15 per KWH, I figure you'd spend about $4 a day running that pump 24 hours.