Wichita Falls, Texas
Opened pool to a green swamp!

Ran my first set of tests on March 14th and got these numbers:
FC-0
CC-0
TC-0
ph - SUPER hot pink (off the charts)
Alk - 80

Added what I had left of my muriatic acid from last summer (about 1/2 a jug)--retested, and ph was STILL super HOT pink. Decided to shock pool to remove algae, and keep shock level (FC) at about 17...pool went from green to turquoise.

Ran another set of tests TODAY, March 16th and got these numbers:
FC - 5
CC - 1.5
TC - 6.5
CYA - 40
ALK - 60
Calcium Hardness - 90
ph - STILL very hot pink.

**I let my FC level drop down from 17 only to test the PH real quick to see where it was. ALSO, I have SCALE on the sides of my liner. It's horrible, so I know my pH is WAY off.

**I assume I need to tackle the PH first, and then bring my pool back up to shock level, right? (I bought 2 jugs of acid just a few moments ago)...
What's throwing me off is my LOW Alkalinity?? Do I get my pH down to about 7.0 (to get rid of the scale), and then raise the Alkalinity with Baking Soda (which will also RAISE my pH though)?
**I also need to get my pool back up to shock level to kill the algae/combined chlorine, but I assume I need to tackle the pH and alkalinity first.

Any suggestions on what steps to take (and in what order) would be greatly appreciated.

I am very embarrassed that my pH is so HIGH. I always take good care of the pool in the summer, but let it go all winter without adding ANYTHING to it (so this is all totally my fault).

Thanks for any help you all can give me.

Emily

(edited to change borax to baking soda... :mrgreen: )

I think you have a better handle on this than you're giving yourself credit for. Get the ph down first, at least below 7.8, preferably around 7.2 or so. Then work the FC til the water is clear. Once it holds FC, re-touch everything else. The TA may be a touch low, but I'd wait and see where everything settles out after your shocking is done before I'd worry about it.

Yeah... hold off on the CYA until you're done shocking. It'll just require you to use more chlorine to shock the pool if you add it now.
In a related note, you'll be better off shocking w/ liquid chlorine, since it adds no CYA like dichlor and trichlor do.

I suspect that the organics in your water are eating your FC more than anything right now. If you want an idea where it's going for sure, measure the loss overnight, when the sun is off the pool. Nighttime loss = organics. Daytime loss = organics + UV.

As for the acid and CYA, not literally ON TOP OF, but you can pour it in the pool while the sock is there, yes. Try to keep them separate by a few feet.

Ok, I got the pH down to 7.2!! All it took was about 40 oz of muriatic acid. I went ahead and pulled the CYA sock out of the pool. If it dries out in the sock (waiting for my pool to clear), can I still use it? I know that' s a dumb question, but wanna make sure I'm not wasting it. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rubygrrl said:
Ok, I got the pH down to 7.2!! All it took was about 40 oz of muriatic acid. I went ahead and pulled the CYA sock out of the pool. If it dries out in the sock (waiting for my pool to clear), can I still use it? I know that' s a dumb question, but wanna make sure I'm not wasting it. :D
No such thing as a dumb question :wink: Sure, you can reuse it. I'd just put the sock w/cya in it in a plastic bucket until you're ready for it. Once it is rewetted (is that a word?) you could massage it to soften it up a little to help it dissolve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.