LifeTime Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
Venice, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My build is underway. HOA approval was obtained. I checked with by pool builder to verify that permits had been pulled. He indicated that, where necessary, yes. The permits required in my MUD are the plumbing for gas lines and the auto fill unit, and that was it. There is no electrical permit or inspection required and no pool inspector required. I double checked with a neighbor of mine who just finished his build. He confirms the same, except indicates he didn't even need plumbing. Kinda loosey goosey don't y'all think. :?

Would anyone have any suggestions as to how to be sure that all is well and safe. the electrician is going to be a master electrician, that I will verify, but who checks him? Would anyone go so far as to hire an independent home inspector to check that work?

Attachments

• Hilton revised 2.jpg
    Hilton revised 2.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 639
  • Hilton2_002.jpg
    Hilton2_002.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 639
Does the builder that you have hired come well recommended to you? Have you seen examples of his work elsewhere?

What state do you live in? Electricians in most states are required to be licensed and you can check this on your own on the internet usually.

Congratulations on the new pool :whoot:

Do you live in the City of Austin? If so, you have to have Building, Electrical, and Plumbing permits. We are in the process of getting a pool (assuming the rain stops and ground dries out) and those permits we're required.

Good luck

a couple of things that permits or not, you should be self-aware of and check on your own to make sure they are done:

1. Bonding. For safety and comfort make sure that all of your bonding is done correctly. This means simply making sure everything at the pool and for at least 5' around the pool are "connected" to each other in terms of conductivity so they are all at the same electrical potential. All metal, light niches, ladders and rebar or metal reinforcement in the deck need to be connected via a #8 solid copper wire. If there is not going to be any reinforcing metal in the deck, ask for some for this purpose. This will remove any chance that you will recieve any shock or tingling when touching the deck and water at the same time (or any other two parts of the pool). Even if its not required in any code... do this. Educate yourself and make sure its done right or it can be a bear to correct after pool completion.

2. If you are going to have an auto-fill make sure they use a backflow prevention device on the supply line to the filler. Somewhere in the midwest a poopy diaper in a pool was traced to be the cause of a whole neighborhood getting ill.

3. Fencing and gates: Make sure your pool is enclosed in some sort of fence, (if your backyard is fenced that will do it) and that the gate auto-closes and latches. Hate to wake up some morning and find a child in your pool (its awful to even speak of it happenning but it does so safety first!).

Good luck with your build that looks like an awesome layout!

On the electrical I did my own, with the help of a friend whom is a licensed electrical contractor.

Basically what I learned is that there is a difference in hooking up your main run to the pool vs the electronic pool controls. Otherwise your electrician can do all your work, but hooking up and programming the pool controls is better left to someone that only does pools and only works on the type of control you have. Again I did all my own, but had to read the manuals etc. Otherwise your you are paying your contractor to learn pool controls.

Also need a GFI outlet within like 8' of the side of the pool
Bonding in pool rebar around pool and back to pump and ic-40. As all need same bond.
All circuit breakers should be GFCI

Otherwise the design of your pool look great.

lershac and blakeusa, thank you for your replies. The dig is done ,the rebar for the shell is in, and the plumbing is done today. I see the bonding. The decking will be concrete, so I assume there sill be additional rebar placed, after the gunite is sprayed.

I am having trouble loading pics. I have so many great ones and I am interested in sharing them with y'all, the loader keeps telling me they are too big. I take them with a simple lousy camera with nothing fancy...I will place a new post elsewhere in the forum, but can anyone reading help.

Doesn't everyone love to see other build pictures!!!???

Thanks,
Chris

Well my build is progressing in a timely manner. We broke ground on 3-12-12 and we are at the final stages. I am not super computer savvy and have had trouble uploading pics.

I have now uploaded pics to a photobucket. Please enjoy and comment on my photos from lawn to concrete hole in the ground.

We are at plumbing and electrical. Should only be a bit more until I am no longer "under construction" as my sig indicates!

I have read pool school several times and looking forward to learning more from y'all. Test kit is ordered!

Thanks
Chris

http://www.photobucket.com/boston2austin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you click in the img code box on photobucket you can paste the link here.... like this.... (I have doctors orders to stay off of my feet and wear funky braces for 6 weeks do to a failing arches so I figured I would help you out!)

026.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2178-1.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

018.jpg

0062.jpg

019.jpg

0012.jpg

010.jpg

017.jpg

0042.jpg

020.jpg

0074.jpg

0032.jpg

015.jpg

0073.jpg

0133.jpg

0013-1.jpg

0043.jpg

0063.jpg

0102.jpg

g.jpg

0025.jpg

0174.jpg

0085.jpg

0103.jpg

f.jpg

0184.jpg

0234.jpg

0194.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

0075.jpg

0104.jpg

0056.jpg

0026.jpg

0115.jpg

012.jpg

003-1.jpg

002.jpg

024-1.jpg

011.jpg

010-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Thanks "head gamez!" I wish I could have done that all along! I hope our administrator doesn't mind the large post. I know folks love to scroll through other peoples pics though!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.