Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small holes in liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Small holes in liner

I've been investigating the source of a leak for several weeks now this weekend I found some small holes in the liner in the shallow end. I have 2 issues stemming from this for which I would appreciate the advice of the forum users.

#1 - I would like for someone to run through the basics on patching a leak. I know this is elsewhere on the web but I think it would be useful to have at TFP, possibly as a sticky.

#2 - When the liner was put in, there were lots of places where the vermiculite/portland cement mixture was pushing against the bottom of the liner (see pic). The PB said the mixture had the consistency of coagulated sugar and would smooth out with pressure. For the most part, I have found this to be true but I noticed several of the pieces seemed a little harder than he described when I pushed them down with my foot although they did seem to break apart and smooth down as well. My question is whether these pieces could actually have worked through the liner in places and be the source of the small holes that I have now. Has anyone experienced this with an IG vinyl liner?

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145 ... 0_0867.jpg
    http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145 ... 0_0871.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin
    Foxx 18 x 36 IG Vinyl
    TR60 Sand Filter, Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    Blue Pearl robotic cleaner

Burlington, North Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2
    Was it something I said?

No help at all on this one?
    Foxx 18 x 36 IG Vinyl

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sorry, can't help, but your pool looks quite nice... liner looks nice and smooth, albeit holey

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sean,

Can you (or someone) post issue #2 of this thread at PF for me. I'm working with the PB to get this resolved but would really be interested in input from other poolowners or the industry guys who may have experience with this issue.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Foxx 18 x 36 IG Vinyl

5. Back To Top    #5
    As an update, I have since found some places under the liner that feel very hard to the point where I'm almost afraid to try to smooth them down for fear of pushing them through the liner.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Foxx 18 x 36 IG Vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TarheelPool
    Sean,

Can you (or someone) post issue #2 of this thread at PF for me. I'm working with the PB to get this resolved but would really be interested in input from other poolowners or the industry guys who may have experience with this issue.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Done!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

We had a vinyl pool done in Oct. last year. We had a two stage bottom done. Are material might be differnt, but before they dropped the liner in they used power grindders and ice scrapers on the bottom to make sure it was nice and smooth. Hope everything works out good luck!
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

8. Back To Top    #8

leak

Kevin,

I've been searching for my leak for 3 days now. I'm losing almost 2 inches a day. Did you call in the pool company to find the leak or did you find it on your own.? How much water were you losing? What did you find helpful in finding the leak?? Thanks,

Jed
    IG 24,000 vinyl pool