After much deliberation: It's an Intex Ultra Frame

Aug 6, 2011
Virginia Beach
We'd been looking and keeping our eyes open for a while. Mrs Kid wanted an oval to swim laps in, but I think she didn't like the prices on them. That, and we really don't have room for a good size oval. I was in Wally World and they had a round 18' x 48" on the shelf. I figured since I was there, it was there, and we had the money all at one time, it must be a sign. They helped me load it up and That's when it dawned on me- I didn't have room to store it... yet. I opened the garage, shuffled the buggy around a bit, and made JUUUUST enough room to squeeze it in there. I'll be moving things around Saturday, I'm sure.

Maybe the weather will stay nice and warm and we can get it set up & open before too long (I hope). Looks like I'll be spending some quality time in pool school soon. The intent is to go BBB & not look back. I don't recall ever reading of anybody regretting that decision. It makes perfect sense to me.

Just make sure you get it level! But get rid of those test strips, they are worse than anything. Get the TF-50 from tftestkits.net and get your water balanced. Maybe next year you can get the oval that the Mrs would like. Keep your eyes and ears open. Craigslist is a great way to go. You can alway sell the 18'.

They were actually a big step up from the phenol red/OTO drops I'd been using. I just checked, there's only 4 left (I'd been using them in the hot tub) and they're from last year. I'm planning to get a good test kit. I'm done being pool stored & walmarted.

edit: deleted test strips from signature

We had joy, we had fun, we had 6 seasons in the sun, but the Intex's time has come (with apologies to Terry Jacks). They vinyl had dried out and begun to become threadbare on the frame rails, I no longer felt it safe to keep around. It met it's fate with the carpet knife today. Time will tell if it is replaced or not. We've had a lot of changes, I'm not sure if I'm up to the maintenance, time commitment, and expense anymore for something with diminishing use now that the kids are getting older too. I guess we'll see what happens come spring.

6?? seasons??? You did a great job keeping it maintained! Too bad the part you have not control over is what caused it to go-the part that gets all of the sun. Well done!

It will be interesting to see if the kids or Mrs. ask for another one come spring.

Kim:kim:

We had joy, we had fun, we had 6 seasons in the sun, but the Intex's time has come (with apologies to Terry Jacks). They vinyl had dried out and begun to become threadbare on the frame rails, I no longer felt it safe to keep around. It met it's fate with the carpet knife today. Time will tell if it is replaced or not. We've had a lot of changes, I'm not sure if I'm up to the maintenance, time commitment, and expense anymore for something with diminishing use now that the kids are getting older too. I guess we'll see what happens come spring.

This is where we are also. Our pool was used once all summer. I am leaning towards not replacing it when it wears out. (Probably last for years just to spite me :mrgreen:)

Mrs Kid wanted an oval to swim laps in, but I think she didn't like the prices on them.
Hi. New here, first post. My daughter came up with a neat way to swim in our 16' x 48" round Intex. A length of 1/4" nylon rope clipped to a ring on the house a couple feet higher than the pool, connected to a nylon belt made from one of those luggage straps with plastic clips to close it around your waist (rope to your back). There's a bungee cord tied into the rope to absorb any shock. It's just long enough so that at full stretch she's in the middle of the pool. Like a large dog tether/collar. We use it all the time to swim - my wife proudly announced today that she did 500 strokes freestyle.

Breast stroke is alarming - the water in the pool gets into a rhythm where it builds a hump in the middle 6" above normal, and then a wave goes out to the edge while the middle goes 6" below. You lose water...

Hi. New here, first post. My daughter came up with a neat way to swim in our 16' x 48" round Intex. A length of 1/4" nylon rope clipped to a ring on the house a couple feet higher than the pool, connected to a nylon belt made from one of those luggage straps with plastic clips to close it around your waist (rope to your back). There's a bungee cord tied into the rope to absorb any shock. It's just long enough so that at full stretch she's in the middle of the pool. Like a large dog tether/collar. We use it all the time to swim - my wife proudly announced today that she did 500 strokes freestyle.

Breast stroke is alarming - the water in the pool gets into a rhythm where it builds a hump in the middle 6" above normal, and then a wave goes out to the edge while the middle goes 6" below. You lose water...

That is pretty clever!

Hi. New here, first post. My daughter came up with a neat way to swim in our 16' x 48" round Intex. A length of 1/4" nylon rope clipped to a ring on the house a couple feet higher than the pool, connected to a nylon belt made from one of those luggage straps with plastic clips to close it around your waist (rope to your back). There's a bungee cord tied into the rope to absorb any shock. It's just long enough so that at full stretch she's in the middle of the pool. Like a large dog tether/collar. We use it all the time to swim - my wife proudly announced today that she did 500 strokes freestyle...

NICE! And MUCH less expensive than an Infinity pool!

Well, last week we picked up a Coleman (I think?) 18x48 pool to replace ours. I've not set it up yet, it may be a few more weeks before I have time. We figured we now have a grand daughter, and another grandchild on the way, plus I'd still like to have a pool, so we went for it. We looked on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, thinking we'd consider a used pool to hold us over for a year or two. What we found wasn't terribly impressive (but there WERE some deals), so we started pricing new. Toys R Us didn't have anything bigger/deeper than a 15x42, and that would have been as is all sales final. We ended up with one from Wal Mart.

Time to either go work in the wet yard, or swim a few laps at the city pool... for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

How did I miss this? Genius!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.