Just Venting...

Feb 29, 2012
Hoschton, GA
So I've probably spent a lot more time on this forum than I should have. And I've pondered almost every situation imaginable for my backyard.

Now understand that my wife has been against having a pool in our yard. she doesn't want me to cut down any trees or spend a lot of money. We bought a foreclosure last September and we have plenty of other "projects" our time and efforts can be invested in. Not to mention, she has seen plenty of "green" pools overgrown with weeds and plaged by rust in out neightboorhood.

I figured that the best situation for us would be a cheap, portable pool...done right. I want an 18'x53" Intex Ultraframe with the sandfilter and SWG combo. I am going to put 2" foam down, with pavers under the uprights and upgrade the ladder. I'll also be looking for a light and may hard plumb the pool and build a waterfall. I will have to to a little digging as our yard in on a hill. I have seen some people do a great job on this forum with the ultraframe. It is so refreshing to hear that we can enjoy a qualitly pool for little money. And, we can take the pool down every season if need me!

Soooo....

I thought I would stop by my local pool store to get some ideas. Talk about having my bubble burst. Right away the guy was trying to sell me a $3,500 Doughboy plus $1000 installation. He told me how we need to cut trees in the yard, or have to relocate the pool to an area I know my wife will not be happy with. He told me the frame will rust and compared Intex to "more of an aquarium than a pool". He told me that by the time I invest the money in an upgraded pump and SWG, I might as well just get the doughboy.

Maybe I am an optomist, but this forum has shown me the good, bad and the ugly of owning an Intex. I think I can handle the challenge and am writing this guy off...

What do you guys think?

Just another shining example of a bull-headed pool store know-it-all trying to push a consumer into something he doesn't want.

You did your homework, and have a far better feel for what your needs and capabilities are than anyone at the pool store. I think you'll do fine with the Intex. Look at it this way - if it works out really well, maybe your wife will want a permanent pool. If so, then you're not out much on the Intex. Or maybe she still will not want a pool at all, and you won't be out much on the Intex. Or maybe, you'll have yourself a nice little pool in which to relax and swim, and you won't be out much on the Intex.

Ohm_Boy said:
Just another shining example of a bull-headed pool store know-it-all trying to push a consumer into something he doesn't want.

You did your homework, and have a far better feel for what your needs and capabilities are than anyone at the pool store. I think you'll do fine with the Intex. Look at it this way - if it works out really well, maybe your wife will want a permanent pool. If so, then you're not out much on the Intex. Or maybe she still will not want a pool at all, and you won't be out much on the Intex. Or maybe, you'll have yourself a nice little pool in which to relax and swim, and you won't be out much on the Intex.

My thoughts exactly! The whole point here is to "not be out much"... Thanks for the support!

Typical pool sales, as far as aquariums go they are pretty solid so take it as a compliment :)
now you know why the user name highlandreef :)
Get what you can and never mind the sales guy, you won't even remember him when your swimming in the pool :)

Don't listein to the pool store dude. We started with a 15 ft intex and I LOVED that thing. We bought a walmart cheap solar cover. It was always warm at night ! :whoot: I'd still be swimming in it if all 9 of us would fit. :cool: After that we had a above ground oval nightmare. It was a rental house. I use to cuss the oval :rant: :grrrr: while missing my intex. :wink: After the intex my pool love began. Your wife might warm up over time. :-D

I'm with you. Earlier tonight I bought an Intex Ultra Frame at Wal-mart. $499 for the 18' X 48". I'm going into it knowing that if it says Intex, the pump is too small. The guy at the pool store last year recommended I get a sand filter & pump and get rid of the paper cartridges. That was one of the best things I ever did for the pool. Now I've got a decent pump & filter from the beginning on this one.

We had a smaller inflatable Intex knock off that lasted 2 or 3 years, and an even smaller Intex inflatable for 2 or 3 years before that. They might be temporary, but they're not bad for what they are and the price. Aside from undersized pumps & filters, they seem decent enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 on the intex. Thats what we started with, I really wanted to make sure I could maintain a pool and make sure wife a and family would use it. Last year was great and we really put that little pool through its paces. The week I closed the intex was the week I picked up a picked up a used doughboy for $500 pump and sandfilter included.

I started with a 16ft Intex that I got from craigslist for $100. The person I bought it from had used it for almost 4yrs. We upgraded the pump to a sand filter & used it for 2 years (only had to replace the ladder). Now as of this weekend we are having our yard graded again & putting up another pool. Yes it is another Intex. We are going with the 16ftx32ftx52in rectangular. We are hoping to move out of our house in the next 5yrs and feel this pool will definitely last us that long. For the price you cant go wrong (as long as you upgrade the pump or go with a sand filter)

We started out with an end of season close out Intex 16' pool for about $100. We jokingly referred to it as our "gheto pool" :-D but seriously, that pool taught us a lot about owning a pool and it lasted about 4 seasons. The liner never failed, actually it was the inflatable ring that floats the walls up that failed. I think leaving it up all year had a lot to do with the ring failing. The pump included with the Intex was too small so we ordered a larger Intex pump filter combo from Amazon the second year we had it. That upgrade greatly reduced maintenence requirements and made the pool more of a TFP. We loved that pool and had a lot of fun in it as a family. For us it was a step towards what we really wanted and it is a step we don't regret.

Now we have the inground pool we once dreamed of :party: and there's no contest for which one we like better, but for the money ($100 vs about $30k for our current rig) you can't beat those Intex pools. I think you can even get a robot cleaner (ladybug or whale as I recall) to keep it vaccummed, and even put solar heat on it if you like! BTW, looks like you are near Atlanta so if you ever decide to go bigger and inground as we did, I highly recommend that you take a look at Tallman Pools (fiberglass pool mfg out of Atlanta) I bet you could get a sweet deal from them being so close.

At the end of the day both are containers that hold a large volume of water and have a system to keep it clean and clear. It's your money and your yard, you've done your research so go for it. We never regretted ours and I doubt you'll regret yours either. Best of luck to you! :goodjob:

We had the Intex 18 foot regular for several years. A regular pool was not in our budget, but I showed dh and myself that I could keep the pool sparkly and clean and that it was worth it. Being in MI it was a mutual project to put it up & take it down every spring and fall. But we sure enjoyed it when it was up. There is NOTHING like swimming in your own pool where the water is properly sanitized and balanced. I love to swim but I'm allergic to everything, and admittedly a bit of a germafobic. With our Intex and now our Doughboy I can control everything to my satisfaction. And I don't break out when I swim in our pool.

So take the plunge and get the Intex and try it out a few summers. Maybe you'll decide to upgrade like we did. And if you don't find it as great as you thought its not that big of an expense. But I bet your wife changes her mind, just like my husband did. Good Luck and welcome to TFP, the best discussion board for pool care.

We also had a 16' Intex pool for 4 summers and the family loved it. That pool taught me the importance of regular maintenance and understanding water chemistry and how to combat and perform the common functions needed for excellent water quality. I fought my first algae bloom, learned the fundamentals of water chemistry and filtration as well as simply learning how to relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor. When we took the plunge last summer and finally put in the inground, I was able to manage and upkeep the pool thanks to the years I had with my Intex. They are a great investment and you will not be sorry....dont listen to the pool store bullies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.