Is this normal?

stevodevo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 22, 2011
Gold Coast, Australia
Hi all,

I'm thinking this is just a normal consequence of not having a tile band (see pics), but thought I'd better check it's not something more sinister. This look mainly happens as the tide goes out and as you can see it's mainly limited to directly below a mortar join in the coping. If I brush the walls (or even just splash some water) up the sides it mostly disappears which is why I think it's just the plaster drying out a little more than the rest of the plaster above the water line... almost like the mortar joins are sucking the water out of the plaster. I'm just a little concerned that it might be the other way around i.e. something is bleeding out of the mortar and may leave scale? If the pool is really full it doesn't really show up due to (I assume) the capillery action of the water soaking into the plaster up to the level of the coping.

Thanks,
Steve.

[attachment=0:2w7k8jdu]IMG_1677.JPG[/attachment:2w7k8jdu] [attachment=1:2w7k8jdu]IMG_1674.JPG[/attachment:2w7k8jdu]

Attachments

• IMG_1674.JPG
    IMG_1674.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    420.5 KB · Views: 113
I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head! Mortar is a lot more pourous than the rest of the materials and will no doubt wick the moisture out of surrounding surfaces quicker than it will dry off the other surfaces. Take a good close look at it and if it doesn't look or feel different (other than the dryness) than the other parts I'd say you're good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.