Kreepy Krauly hose leaking (pulling in air.)

lalittle

Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
My Kreepy Krauly hose appears to be pulling in quite a bit of air -- my leaf trap canister fills with air relatively quickly even when it's totally submerged, so it's definitely the hose that's leaking. I tried some of the generic Kreepy hose sections from a pool store, but they leaked even worse -- I could hear and even see the leaks, which appeared to be where the end couplings were glued to the hose. In other words, I don't think that it's the connection itself that's leaking, but rather the seal between the end pieces and the corrugated hose.

Is it normal for this to happen after a while? I don't know how old the hose is since we inherited the cleaner with the pool, but it appears to have gotten worse over time.

Are the "official" Kreepy hoses any better than the generic ones, and do they simply start pulling in air after a while?

Thanks,

Larry

Yes, unfortunately, these hoses are wearable parts. After several seasons of being exposed to UV light, chemicals, temperature swings, and rubbing up against plaster, they will leak after a while.

If it was something akin to a pinhole and you can identify the location of it, you can patch it. I recommend a product called 3M Scothkote Electrical Coating. It's sort of a turbocharged rubber cement used to seal underwater electrical connections. A little spot of that on the hole and it'll seal up tight. Now, if it is the connections between the hose section, you are best off just buying new hose sections. It sounds as though you gave the generic ones a go, without success. This may be a situation where name brand is the best route to go.

I have/had same problem with the KK, even when it was new, the leaf canister just slowly filled with air and eventually floated up. I later switched over to vac hose hopefully with one piece design it'd work better but still pulled air in. That was over 5 yrs ago and until this day I still can't figure out how air gets in. Because I can see the air accumulated in the canister, before the skimmer, I don't think it's the problem with my plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.