problem with CH test

May 17, 2011
Montgomery, TX
testing for CH with my hth 6 way test kit. water is supposed to start out red and change to blue. after adding the indicator my water turned golden yellow. after adding drops the water turned light green??

the other day after a heavy rain i added a bunch of bleach and muriatic acid. i slightly overdid it on both. i think my fc is about 5-6 and ph is around 7-7.2. could my low ph be throwiing off the test, or could my ch indicator and titrant have gone bad?

The HTH CH test is more sensitive to interference than the Taylor chemistry, so the colors don't always come out the way the directions indicate. Yellow changing to green should still give valid results, despite the "incorrect" colors. There is a little bit more information about this in the Extended Test Kit Directions, though mostly they talk about other issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.