Autopilot SWG - Do I have this correct?

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
Hi,

First off, I apologize to both Sean and Ted for pm'ing them b/f posting. That won't happen again.

We will be installing an 18x40 (trying to downsize it to 18x36 though) ig vinyl grecian lazy-l next month. No extra water features, just solar heat, our only heat source and a SWG (possibly a slide, but not sold on the idea yet).

We have decided to purchase the Intelliflo 4x160 and the Autopilot ourselves to 1) save money and not give the pb the markup 2) he doesn't sell the items we want to upgrade on anyway.

I did call Autopilot cust svc and I have to say they were much more helpful that Goldline. The AP rep told me I should purchase the DIG220 SC48. However, after reading all of the posts re: Autopilot, Sean seems to say upgrade the system to one bigger and this will save on energy use b/c it will be able to produce more salt in less time, the cell will not be overworked therefore extending its life and it also has a longer warranty period. Therefore I should purchase the DIG220
SC-60...is this correct?

Our yard (soon to be pool) gets direct overhead sun with no shade whatsoever during the summer. This is also another reason to get the bigger SWG unit correct? If I am understanding all of this, the more sun and the hotter the water, the bigger demand for the salt??

The Intelliflo 4x160 VS3050 with the variable speed is mainly for the solar, however, will this also benefit the SWG since the SWG needs to circulate for most of the day?

TIA! (and sorry again to Sean and Ted)

One thing to note, SWGs don't make salt, they make chlorine out of salt ;)
Salt is what you will need to put in your pool.

Generally yes, it's best to go for the biggest system you can afford(within a reason). That way you can run you pump less time saving on electricity, and also bigger systems are usually more energy efficient. And the cell should last much longer.
If I am understanding all of this, the more sun and the hotter the water, the bigger demand for the salt??

Again you mixed up chlorine and salt. More sun and hotter water means more chlorine you need.

Nupoolsoon, - don't sweat the pm, I'm here for everyone who may benefit from my experience/ knowledge and don't mind keeping things 'off the boards' if that's what the quester wants, however keeping things 'on the boards' can help others with a similar question not having to ask it. Don't be shy about asking us questions :!: no one is born knowing this stuff and the only dumb/ stupid question is the one that remains unasked!!!!

I just noticed that Strannik has posted with ~ the same answer I was about to give :)goodjob: strannik!)

Make sure you keep enough cya (stabilizer) in the pool and you may want to give Waterbear's sticky on SWCG pool chemistry a read found here.

I can't speak for Sean, but I know that even if you hadn't gone with his company's system - he would have helped you all he can with your pool and SWCG!! (as a side benefit of going with his co. you have access to him directly, here **** I've yet to see a Goldline rep here :cry: )

There are a lot of folks here that can advise you on the Inteleflow, especially a couple of the 'new' "In The Industry" guys.

Stick with us and we'll stick with you so that you keep a "Trouble Free Pool"

Regards,
Ted :wink:

Getting the SC-60 cell instead of the SC-48 cell might reduce electrical usage a tiny bit but that won't be a significant difference. It will also allow you to run the pump for a shorter time at a higher speed, but really you want to run the pump for a longer time at a lower speed to save electricity, so that doesn't really help either. The primary advantage of the larger cell is that it should last significantly longer, more than making up for the extra initial cost and lowering the cost/year of the system.

JasonLion said:
Getting the SC-60 cell instead of the SC-48 cell might reduce electrical usage a tiny bit but that won't be a significant difference. It will also allow you to run the pump for a shorter time at a higher speed, but really you want to run the pump for a longer time at a lower speed to save electricity...

A tiny bit over 5 years becomes quite a lot.
Why do you say that it will allow to run at higher speed?
It can run at the same (low) speed, but less time.

Because the pump must be running for the SWG cell to generate chlorine, a smaller cell will need the pump running for longer than a larger cell will to generate the same amount of chlorine. Assuming we want to move the same total amount of water per day we will do that at a lower speed. None of which is really all that important with a variable speed pump since we actually want to run as long as possible at as low a speed as is practical, so the cell on time will not be the limiting factor.

However with an overpowered single speed pump, which is fairly common, it becomes a significant issue and the larger cell can save a dramatic amount of electricity. That is because the pump run time for good filtering might only be say four hours, while the cell on time required to create enough chlorine might be eight hours. The cell run time becomes the limiting factor and reducing the cell run time by using a larger cell can significantly lower the required pump run time.

As for electrical usage: If the pump draws say 4.75 amps and the SWG draws 0.5 amps and is on half the time that the pump is on then the SWG is only using 5% of the total electricity. If we improve the SWG efficiency by 40% then we are saving 2% off our electrical bill. I don't feel that a 2% savings is significant. It is not nothing, it might still be worth doing, but it isn't significant.

All of which is potentially entertaining, but not directly related to what nupoolsoon was asking.

I can't believe the amount of gray hairs I am getting!! This whole thing gets me so nervous..mostly the balancing of the water. I have all the charts marked though and probably will be posting every day with needed help. I will be ordering the TF100 though.

I cannot find the post, but I thought I had read that you can run the pump speed at a lower rpm's for the SWG and that way you are saving money on both electricity and the cell too, yet still getting the required salt/chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
nupool,

In short, don't sweat the small stuff. As Jason has indicated, the minute details will not make you happy with your pool......getting a pool you can enjoy is the big issue.

Far too often on this forum, we "pool junkies" get too bogged down in the details that are somewhat insignificant compared to the decision to build and own a pool in the first place.

I won't comment on the pump issues and the SWG details as it seems you have already done some homework and have a good feel for what you want.

I will suggest that you not give much thought to pool water chemistry during this phase of your project. Once they dig the hole and start putting the walls in you will have worked out most of the mechanical details and then can get involved in the water chemistry. It ALWAYS seems a little overwhelming at first but, honestly, will become second nature to you so quickly you'll wonder why you ever thought it was difficult.

Stay on the forum and keep asking questions. This is a tremendous resource for just about every phase of pool construction and you'll get a ton of moral support (and opinions :lol: ) from all of us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.