need to extend pool decking, hopefully match kool-deck coat

Jun 19, 2007
Charleston, SC
We have a situation where we bought a home w/ a pool and very old hot tub sitting on a square section of the decking. We rid ourselves of the hottub and purchased a pergola to go onto the square area. However, the square section of decking is 10' x 10' and the pergola is 10' x 12'. I included pictures to help display the situation. First of all, is this something that looks like a basic job that your general DIY'er can do? I only need to extend the concrete by two feet by 10 feet, so it doesn't seem like much. The harder part will likely be matching the existing kool-deck coating. Any suggestions or warnings?

perg1cz9.jpg

perg2tl1.jpg

perg3oq5.jpg

It is very unlikely that you will be able to get an exact match to the deck color, even if you purchase the same color of the same product that was used previously. Still, a reasonably close match would probably look fairly reasonable. If you want a different visual effect you could run a 1 foot addition around three sides of the existing pad and coat it in a contrasting color. Or you could just rotate the pergola 90 degrees so it extends over the existing deck and not bother expanding the deck.

Matching up masonry surfaces is almost impossible. Adding a type of border (could be even brick pavers or some other contrasting material) like you meant to do that from the beginning looks a little nicer to me.

It is still a good DIY project but I would not try to match the existing finish but rather contrast it.

I assume shortening the pergola is not what you want....that would be the easiest of all

Now, I have a question. What software did you use to superimpose your dimensions onto the picture? I could have used that very handy trick many times but I simply don't know how.

Thanks for all of the great replies! Possibly a very good idea to give it a border look instead of trying to match it. Although i did find this product, i'm just not sure how well it would match a kool deck that has been in the sun for several years.

jjparrish - i bought it over a year ago from Sam's on clearance for 400$. Just now getting around to putting it together. Check ebay though. Lot's of listings supprisingly! Search "Bella Lago".

duraleigh - an autocad pro would laugh at my dimensional drawings, but hey, it works. I just used photoshop and applied text layers and such.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.