Getting Ready do I need new Checmicals for Test Kit

Generally speaking, dark and cool and not freezing is a good way to store test kit reagents and most will last for years if stored carefully. They can go bad very quickly if they freeze, are left in the sun, or get hot for extended periods.

Hi rjg202,
The Florida heat killed my R-0011L for my calcium hardness test, just replaced it.
Most likely from forgetting :roll: to bring it back in after testing and pool party's, a few days later I would remember it on the porch. :hammer:
All other tests work fine. My kit is 11 months old.

Chuck

I have reagents three years old that I periodically test against the newer ones (now one year old) to see if I need to throw them out. the only ones that have ever gone bad were the ones left out in the sun.

Well, thanks a lot, folks! My refill business will be down the tubes this summer because of your truthful posts!! :hammer:

I'm off to Wal-mart to apply for a Greeter's job for the rest of the summer! :shock: :shock:

Seriously, I still have some powder that's pretty darn old (at least three years) and it works just fine.

I have inadvertently left the R-0600 and the R-0014 (thats the reagent for pH and the OTO chlorine test) in the sun for just a day or two and it killed them.

So, in your air-conditioned house is the finest way you can store the kit. Cool or cold is good but it must NOT freeze. I don't know this for a fact but I suspect a hot garage in the summer will shorten the lifespan as well.

Bama Rambler said:
duraleigh said:
I'm off to Wal-mart to apply for a Greeter's job for the rest of the summer! :shock: :shock:
The only problem with that is that they don't have greeters anymore! Maybe you could go to work for Leslies! :twisted:

Ouch Dave! :roll: Well... on the other hand you could get their testing standards up to professional levels and then they would fire you because sales of chemical products are down! :hammer:

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.