pool filter media, sand or glass

bigan

Jul 18, 2011
Miami
I have an Intex 16 x 48 ABG (5000 gallons), was running an Intex cartridge filter/pump 2500 gph that burned out. I have already purchased an Intex 2650 sand filter SWG combo unit that will arrive in 4 days. I came accross the following site

http://www.swimming-pool-information.co ... lters.html

and now am undecided wheter to use sand or glass in the filter. Any comments and or advice will be greatly appreciated. I was also told that the Intex 2650 is mismatched having to large of a pump .95 (1) hp for a 100 lb filter, the gentleman said a .5 (1/2) hp would give me better results, I would like to hear some toughts on this, not that I can do anything due to already buying the unit.

Use sand. It has been an effective media forever and continues to be so. I would dismiss the claims of the other media as being superior unless they claim to be superior at reducing your bank balance.

A .5hp pump might have been a better fit but it seems a moot point.

carlscan26 said:
Or can't he replace the impeller or the motor and impeller?
My guess is this may not be straightforward with the "all in one" approach Intex has made on this one...might be worth a look though.

duraleigh said:
It sounds to me like Teapot is graciously extending an offer to purchase for you a new, bigger filter!
TEAPOT...put me on the list too, I need a new filter :wave:

Thanks all for the feedback, I will be going with sand as it will cost me $21 for two 50 lb bags to fill the filter available locally. I was considering the glasspack media by Ecosmarte because it said it filters smaller particles down to 5 microns however each 50 lb bag cost $75 including shipping none of the local pool stores heard of it.. As far as the filter pump mismatch, why do you think Intex would do this, I have read good review about this unit doing a good job keeping pools clean, they also have a 1600 gph unit with a 1/2 hp pump but only a 44 lb capacity filter, I opted for the larger unit for more water circulation. I was told to change the impeller as a solution but wouldn't I still be using the same electricity not to mention this would probably void the two year warranty. I will have it setup this weekend and will see how it cleans my pool since it has algae.

The Intex pump isn't nearly as powerful as they imply it is. It is really much closer to a 1/2 HP pump, and reasonably appropriate for that use. The Intex sand filters are fairly basic, but they are way way better than the Intex cartridge filters.

I've just changed the sand out on my filter (Hayward Pro Series 21") for the first time. The pool and gear was inherited from a relative who had used it for about 5 years. Sat in the garage for a year before I had it installed last season. So I figured it had about 6 years of use and was about ready to change. Plus, I needed to do some re-landscaping and there was no way I could move the filter without risking damage.

The first pool store (major chain) said they had pool 'sand' but the sample they showed me looked very different. The sand I took out was light beige and regular size. This stuff was multi-colored, larger and irregular. The sales person assured me it was silica sand though.....'sand is silica right?'. Price - 10 $CAN/50lb

Went back a few days later for some parts and another guy (in the parts/service dept) told me it was actually glass (100% natural...whatever that means), but provided better filtration than than conventional pool sand.

Went to another pool store (family owned). Told me the 're-cycled' glass medium is good, does last longer than conventional sand, but needs more frequent back-washes. Apparently the sand I had been using was too small. I had noticed a lot of bits stuck in the lateral slots. He recommended this grade #20 pool sand (6.95 $CAN/50lb).

http://www.selwarwick.com/en/produits/F ... ation.aspx

"whole-grain crystalline silica of great hardness and irreproachable whiteness". I love that last phrase.

I'll see how it goes.

The exercise does make me wonder though how many unassuming people are being sold this re-cycled glass alternative, thinking they are getting sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
The Intex pump isn't nearly as powerful as they imply it is. It is really much closer to a 1/2 HP pump, and reasonably appropriate for that use. The Intex sand filters are fairly basic, but they are way way better than the Intex cartridge filters.
Ah there is the point, it may not be as powerful in terms of work done but it could be hugely inefficient and cost a lot more to run. It would be useful if someone posted it actual consumption in watts.

Regarding sand, as a lot of it is millions of years old the 6 years it has spent in your filter is but a blink of an eye. Of course you had to relocate so no issue but sand doesn't wear out in our little filters as it isn't moving apart from backwashing. If it gets dirty clean it.

Regarding glass, lots of comment from people who haven't actually used it so their comment is questionable. Sand is good enough for most people though especially if budget is an issue. Regarding frequent backwashing of glass media, no not really any more frequently but as with any fine filter initially it will remove more so as you don't want a dirty filter a backwash is not a bad idea, it backwashes quicker than sand so it doesn't really use any more water.

Regarding different products, I can only refer to AFM glass as so many others have tried to copy their product but some are just dangerous and contain shards of glass whereas others have the appearance of granulated sugar.

Where does it say whole grain crystaline silica = glass? that could just as easily be a description of silica sand.

teapot said:
Where does it say whole grain crystaline silica = glass? that could just as easily be a description of silica sand.

It was the salesperson in the first store I went to who implied that the re-cycled glass is sand. I had asked for Grade #20 silica sand, and she said that is what it is, although she didn't know what grade it was.

The Warwick stuff I purchased from the other store is graded pool silica sand. The store owner confirmed it is Grade #20. He didn't try and put me off the glass stuff at all. He said it does perform well and lasts longer - just doesn't sell it and uses the Warwick sand in all of his installations. He also had Zeobrite if I wanted, but explained that it did require re-conditioning every year to avoid clumping. Up front.

My only point is that when people go into a pool store asking for pool filter sand, they should be told what they are being sold - sand or glass.

As a case in point, I went to a third store today (looking for a fitting not available at the others). Out of interest, I inquired what pool sand they had. They showed me the same glass media. I asked if it was sand. Yes, it's 100% natural silica. They were selling it for 6.95 $CAN.

Had I not had this 'got to find Grade #20 pool sand, because that's what the filter manual says'. I probably would have bought it. Just glad I was told that the sand I had taken out was too small, as I was tempted to put it back in, rinse it through and top up with some fresh sand......or glass.......or silica :wink:

Just thinking, if the glass stuff does backwash faster, would there be any advantage or problem layering it over sand?

Out of interest, what do people do with 'old filter sand'. Is it safe to just chuck out on the ground. I have a few boggy-clay patches in my yard that could do with some sand. I think I'd be a bit hesitant about doing the same with crushed glass and the wife would definitely freak out. What then? Get rid of it (gradually) in the municipal garbage bin, to be taken somewhere else and dumped? Kind of defeats the eco initiative. Hey, we can use some of this re-cycled glass for pool filter media, but the end-user dumps it anyway :? I vote that all pool stores selling this stuff offer re-cycling points for used media.

WorBry said:
teapot said:

It was the salesperson in the first store I went to who implied that the re-cycled glass is sand. I had asked for Grade #20 silica sand, and she said that is what it is, although she didn't know what grade it was. Nothing I could see on the site stated "recycled" glass or even glass unless I missed something

The Warwick stuff I purchased from the other store is graded pool silica sand. The store owner confirmed it is Grade #20. He didn't try and put me off the glass stuff at all. He said it does perform well and lasts longer - just doesn't sell it and uses the Warwick sand in all of his installations. He also had Zeobrite if I wanted, but explained that it did require re-conditioning every year to avoid clumping. Up front. Zeolites because of their ion exchange properties should be recharged each year with salt water, if you are using it with a salt pool you aren't getting ion exchange. Clumping, shows the zeolite structure is breaking down because the zeolite isn't hard enough, It doesn't happen with Werris Creek zeolite.

My only point is that when people go into a pool store asking for pool filter sand, they should be told what they are being sold - sand or glass. Totally agree, ordinary chrushed glass doesn't have the properties of AFM treated glass so won't last as long and may clump easier because it is lighter than sand thereby giving glass media a bad rap. AFM is not the same as other glass media, hence the cost.

As a case in point, I went to a third store today (looking for a fitting not available at the others). Out of interest, I inquired what pool sand they had. They showed me the same glass media. I asked if it was sand. Yes, it's 100% natural silica. They were selling it for 6.95 $CAN. I still don't believe that is glass media.

Had I not had this 'got to find Grade #20 pool sand, because that's what the filter manual says'. I probably would have bought it. Just glad I was told that the sand I had taken out was too small, as I was tempted to put it back in, rinse it through and top up with some fresh sand......or glass.......or silica :wink: As I said earlier there is this myth than millions of years old sand (it's not freshly made :lol: ) wears out in 5 years in your sand filter, It doesn't. It gets dirty and sticky so needs cleaning. in some areas with hard water it also gets covered with limescale so that is a requirement to change.

Just thinking, if the glass stuff does backwash faster, would there be any advantage or problem layering it over sand?
why would you do that? You just get 50% of the properties of each, half done job

Out of interest, what do people do with 'old filter sand'. Is it safe to just chuck out on the ground. I have a few boggy-clay patches in my yard that could do with some sand. I think I'd be a bit hesitant about doing the same with crushed glass and the wife would definitely freak out. What then? Get rid of it (gradually) in the municipal garbage bin, to be taken somewhere else and dumped? Kind of defeats the eco initiative. Hey, we can use some of this re-cycled glass for pool filter media, but the end-user dumps it anyway :? I vote that all pool stores selling this stuff offer re-cycling points for used media.

Again with AFM it shows no sign of "wearing out" so life time media, if disposal is required the yes into the recyling container marked "glass" ready to be made into something else. That should save mining/quarrying some more sand to be made into glass.

teapot said:
Nothing I could see on the site stated "recycled" glass or even glass unless I missed something
I think you've possibly misunderstood me. The Warwick product that I provided a site link to is 'traditional' Grade #20 pool sand. This is the stuff I bought from the family-owned pool store. The re-cycled glass product now being offered by the other two stores (both major pool & spa chains) is from this company, Bellemare:

http://www.groupebellemare.com/en/products/view/12

The store weren't exactly sure if it was the 10/20 or 20/30 grade grit shown there. From the sample I saw, I think probably the latter. Packaged as Piscine Filtrante (pool filter media).

teapot said:
As I said earlier there is this myth than millions of years old sand (it's not freshly made :lol: ) wears out in 5 years in your sand filter, It doesn't. It gets dirty and sticky so needs cleaning. in some areas with hard water it also gets covered with limescale so that is a requirement to change.
Yes, the pool stores here tell you the 'sand' needs changing every 4-5 years because over a period of time the water smooths the rough surface of the sand grains making it less efficient at filtration. Ironically, when asked how frequently the re-cycled glass product should be changed, the response was the same- every 4-5 years. So, yes, I'm inclined to think also, that this is a myth perpetuated to encourage sales turnover.

The sand I took out of my filter, as far as I could tell, actually looked quite clean. No caking/scale on the surface. There again, the potable water in my locale is very good. 20 miles away, they have a big problem with iron.

Anyhow, I've changed the sand now.

WorBry, I definitely misunderstood you.

AFM glass media has been used by water authorities in the UK for filtering raw sewage at the treatment plants and shows no sign of needing replacing at 5 years and that's a lot of dirt and a lot of water!

Hi,

I just edited my last post to include a link for the re-cycled glass stuff. Not that it tells you very much.

And here's another link to one of the pool store websites.

http://www.clubpiscine.ca/858-product-p ... ation.html

At least they call it 'glass of filtration' here. I'm pretty sure (from the labelled sample I saw) that they are now selling the Bellemare product, not the Minéraux Harsco brand shown. Strange though, I cant see any glass filtration media on the Minéraux Harsco website, only stone.

Quoting fro Dryden Aqua's (AFM manufacturers) website where the major refurbishment of a municipal pool is underway and external German DIN standard observers are analysing the data (peer reviewing) comes this info. I would seriously question whether using ordinary crushed glass is safe and worth the extra over sand.

"Independent trials conducted by a French National Government Organisation over the last 6 months between AFM and one of the better crushed glass products again confirmed the far superior performance of AFM. Indeed the trial had to be cut short because the crushed glass filter was generating Vibrio bacteria. As a point of note cholera is a Vibrio bacteria species".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.