Help- befor i put in new liner

Aug 6, 2009
:?: ants destroyed the 5 year old liner in my pool last year. after paying a scuba diver twice to find and patch over 50 pinholes, the ants still won. question is what can i use to prevent this befor we put in the new liner?

i know a weed and grass killer was used befor i put in the last liner, we didn't have a problem with weeds. we have a ground cover and sand base.

i would like to find non toxic ant killer that works.

27' above ground w/ intex swg

I use Diazinon (sp?) powder and it is quite effective. The ants take it back and it kills the queen. I'm not aware of any non toxic ant killer that works. Of course you'll only be abe to spread this under the pool once and can repeat regularly around the pool but that may not be close enough to the colony...Are you sure they weren't termites?

You might want to remove the sand, put down landscape fabric, and then reinstall the sand. Weed-X AT fabric claims to stop ants and termites. It is treated with something, so you might want to check that the treatment chemical would not adversely affect the liner.

Even though the liner would not be in direct contact with the fabric, the chemical might migrate through the sand and get to the liner. Instead of reinstalling the sand after installing the landscaping fabric, you might want to use a vermiculite base, which would be a more solid barrier to intrusion.

Weed-X®AT is a treated material which provides the added benefit of ensuring that ants and termites won’t damage the material. This is especially important in areas of the country where fire ants are a problem.
http://dalenproducts.com/faq/landscape- ... pe-fabric/

http://dalenproducts.com/products/lands ... t-termite/
[edit]The landscaping fabric treatment chemical is Bifenthrin, which I think is safe to use with near vinyl, but you might want to check with the liner manufacturer just to be sure.

The product website does say "contains Bifenthrin: Not for use in edible garden, pond or pool applications!", but I think that that's only for direct contact with the water. You could contact the manufacturer to be sure.[end edit]

Instead of, or in addition to, the landscaping fabric, you could use an EPDM rubber pond liner below the sand. Because the liner is not permeable, I think that you would want to avoid creating a situation where the pond liner could potentially trap water against the steel walls of the pool as that might increase the risk of wall corrosion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.