Swg for agp

Jun 3, 2011
Hi,
Wanted to see what everyone thought about swg for agp?
The local pool store advised me against it with an agp.
They said if I had an igp it would be a different story.
I guess due to the issues they have had with corrosion.
They actually stopped selling an agp swg system due to the issues they were having, I guess issues like corrosion of the skimmer basket screws, etc. they said they even tried stainless and had the same issues?
Anyone here running an swg on an agp?
Thanks in advance! :)

Skimmer basket screws that aren't stainless would rust regrdless of the chlorine source.

There is no reason not to use an SWCG in your pool.

I think woodyp is generally right about steel parts to pools but I was curious, so I looked up a common AGP manufacturer people have on this forum...Sharkline.

From Sharkline's warranty, specifically "Limitations of Warrenty" section:
Damages caused by the utilization of a salt water chlorination system in combination with a steel pool structure (top ledges, uprights, joiner plates, wall
channels).
Specifically mentions steel, so resin should be okay. Does not specifically mention steel walls. Bottom line, I would check your warranty, but it may be fine with a swg.

I have a swg (Intex) and love it :goodjob: I do not have a warranty since I got my pool used.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it is a steel wall which it most likely is, salt will eat at any exposed steel it can get to, which in turn will eventually weaken the wall causing it to tear open. Wilbar is the most common manufacturer of abg kits, they manufacture for several companies, their warranty is void if salt is used. Says it right in the warranty card. Make sure to read the warranty so you know don't take the word of a salesman or internet sale, be sure you know.

Well, to my surprise they said its not an issue and it will not void warrantee.
My pool is actually a aqua leader creations.
Turns out aqua leader was purchased by tridium which was purchased by wilbar lol!
Also looks like sharkline is owned by wilbar :)

Anyway, looks like It won't void warrantee but the question is should I do it as the wall is still steel?

Highlandreef said:
Well, to my surprise they said its not an issue and it will not void warrantee.
My pool is actually a aqua leader creations.
Turns out aqua leader was purchased by tridium which was purchased by wilbar lol!
Also looks like sharkline is owned by wilbar :)

Anyway, looks like It won't void warranty but the question is should I do it as the wall is still steel?
I am using a swg with a steel wall with no problems (by the way, I think my pool is an aqualeader). I would assume the problems might show up if the skimmer/return openings were leaking or if there was a hole in the liner that allowed salt water to pool on the steel. With that said, I was having a return side leak for a few weeks last season where water was leaking down the side of my pool wall...saw no signs of corrosion/oxidation.

ok, i am getting sticker shock from these things in realizing they are about 700-800
does anyone know if the jandy is a decent one, are any better than another?

Jandy AquaPure Ei Salt Chlorine Generator up to 35k Gallons 120V/240V Hard-Wired - APURE35

Thanks everyone! :wave:

I have an Esther Williams 24' AGP that is just completing 6 summers of use. I have used a SWG since the beginning and been pleased with the simplicity. The pool is showing bad corrosion around the skimmer box and at the base of the wall, especially near the skimmer because the pool overflows when we get a lot of rain in a few hours time. Also some top rails have rusted through, especially the one next to the return fitting.

I'm planning on replacing the pool before next season and I'm debating whether to stay with the SWG. I have found a few resin pools that say they are guaranteed even when a SWG is used, namely: The Cozumel and the Grand Bahama, mfg by Asahi, the Sharkline Matrix, and possibly the Aqualeader Reflexion--I'm still checking on this one. Has anyone else replaced an AGP using a SWG, and if so, what replacement did you go with?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.