Ever tried submerging a 50lb bucket of trichlor with holes?

et

Apr 26, 2010
I understand that shocking a pool to get clear water to open a pool is the gold standard! At around $12 per application it seems pretty inexpensive, even if you have to do it twice.

My pool guy says shock is a waste of money, somehow? He suggests submerging a 50lb bucket of trichlor in the pool.

He says that in a week or two, you will have a clear pool - even with the pump off.

Anyone ever tried this approach? Would love to see what other posters found if they've tried it.

Re: Ever tried submerging a 50lb bucket of trichlor with hol

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on how big the pool is, how much CYA is in the water, and such. But as a rule, we don't tend to suggest it. Too many unknowns for a generalization.
In reality, we understand that shocking a pool is more than unloading a bag or tub of some chemicals into a swimming pool and walking away, and thus do not advocate dosing without measuring. There is a particular FC level which is effective and safe for a given level of CYA in the water, and that is where the chlorine should be maintained until all the organics are killed.

What you have to understand is that pool guys can't spend the kind of time it requires to clear a swamp properly so they have to come up with things that allow them to go on to the next client. Since it's not their pool they don't really care if they create a problem. They can handle the problem as they go.

Adding 50 lbs of Trichlor to my pool would raise the CYA by 256!
It would raise the FC by 422 but since it dissolves over time and it's being used up killing the algae it's not as much of an issue as the CYA. It also affects the pH a lot!

I wouldn't recommend doing this under any circumstances.

et said:
I understand that shocking a pool to get clear water to open a pool is the gold standard! At around $12 per application it seems pretty inexpensive, even if you have to do it twice.
My pool guy says shock is a waste of money, somehow? He suggests submerging a 50lb bucket of trichlor in the pool.

Welcome to TFP!

Have you priced a 50 lb bucket of Trichlor? At Leslies (which is expensive) that's $120 :shock:

Go read pool school and esepcially the article about shocking - it's a process not a thing you add one or two times.

In addition to all of the above, if your pool is vinyl, the amount of chlorine that accumulates close to the bucket could severely damage it, reducing its life expectancy drastically.

it's a process not a thing you add one or two times.

This was the first (and far from last) useful thing I learned here. When I first moved in I was throwing bags of dichlor in, and never enough to make a dent, to the green swamp that came with our new house.

Bleach bottles, testing, and filtering are what you need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I'm in the midst of seeing this being done on a brand new 280,000-gallon public pool with a PVC liner. This person has had three 50-lb trichlor buckets with holes sitting out for about three weeks now. I'm always eager to learn new things.

Lershac said:
I think a tactical nuke would work too, but just like the bucket-o-tabs its overkill and will damage the pool.
Lershac, I seriously LOLd, quite hard on this. :lol:
Why didn't I think of that? :hammer:
mrhitch said:
I'm in the midst of seeing this being done on a brand new 280,000-gallon public pool with a PVC liner. This person has had three 50-lb trichlor buckets with holes sitting out for about three weeks now. I'm always eager to learn new things.
Are you serious? Someone is actually doing this let alone to a pool that size? Are they sitting on the bottom?
What, are they trying to etch a hole to [s:g5d9q2at]China[/s:g5d9q2at], er.. the USA, or make a bigger deep end? LOL
duraleigh said:
Really? 280k and vinyl liner? Do you have a pic?
Yes, I second that, do show pics. Because we all know it never happened unless you have photos to prove it happened. :wink: :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.