Coldest you've gone in?

eeece said:
What's the coldest temperature you've gone in your pool? It's early Autumn here and although my pool is at 21C, diving in is pretty cold, yet refreshing :|

Refreshing? That's cold! I'll swim in the upper 70s F, but ideally 84F is my perfect temp. Wife wants it warmer than that.

Some years ago, a friend we had over for dinner convinced my then 12-13 y/o son they should go for an evening dip. It was December and the temp was 48-49 as best as I remember.

They stayed in probably 3-5 minutes trying to convince me it wasn't that bad.......they were lying through their blue lips :shock: :shock:

24 degrees outside, 101 in the hot tub and 41 in the pool. Coldest night of winter in SE Texas in 2010 - 11. I jumped in twice and will never do that again. It is amazing what some Saki will let your friends talk you into doing with them. After doing that and thinking about it the next day I am really surprised none of us went into shock going from the hot tub to the cold water. The wives on the other hand were the smart ones and stayed in the hot tub. :)

My pool? I think 79F.

In my younger days, it wasn't uncommon to plunge into ice-cold rivers and lakes fed by melting snow while backpacking. Once there was even ice on the shallow edges of the creek.

I'm pretty sure the last time was about 20 years ago, when a bunch of guys went on a campout. We played "Quien es mas macho?" First guy in to his waist got to claim the title, until someone else plunged in completely. And then he was unseated by someone who not only went all the way in, but swam across underwater. And then we all scrambled out and sat on a boulder in the sun.

I'm thinking it was 74ish when I got in around closing time last season. If I get to open early - most likely there will be a couple cold swims :)

I need to check and see what temp it is now. These 80 degree days are taunting me. Next weekend the overnight lows are predicted to be in the upper 30s. Not a chance it's time to open yet.. :(

The next month is going to take a long time.

Two years ago when I was opening up the pool...I got the cover off...and have a floater...as I was filling the pool I threw the floater up over the top of my rail fence...and as I let it go I realized that I didn't screw the lid on tighly...and sure enoug...before the floater hit the water all my little one inch pucks fell out and all over the bottom of the pool. I didn't even have the ladder in yet...while it was in the low 70s outside...it wasn't even 60 degrees in the pool...maybe 58 tops...But there I was...in my shorts and tee shirt climing up the still outside the pool ladder with goggles to dive in to the chilly abyss to one by one pick up all those tiny pucks so as not to ruin my liner.

THe sad part is that fall when I closed the pool I did the same thing...only this time it was sunny and about 58 out side and 58 inside the pool. Now that was bad... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cubbybeave08 said:
Two years ago when I was opening up the pool...I got the cover off...and have a floater...as I was filling the pool I threw the floater up over the top of my rail fence...and as I let it go I realized that I didn't screw the lid on tighly...and sure enoug...before the floater hit the water all my little one inch pucks fell out and all over the bottom of the pool. I didn't even have the ladder in yet...while it was in the low 70s outside...it wasn't even 60 degrees in the pool...maybe 58 tops...But there I was...in my shorts and tee shirt climing up the still outside the pool ladder with goggles to dive in to the chilly abyss to one by one pick up all those tiny pucks so as not to ruin my liner.

THe sad part is that fall when I closed the pool I did the same thing...only this time it was sunny and about 58 out side and 58 inside the pool. Now that was bad... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Did you try a leaf net on a pole first?

JohnT said:
eeece said:
What's the coldest temperature you've gone in your pool? It's early Autumn here and although my pool is at 21C, diving in is pretty cold, yet refreshing :|

Refreshing? That's cold! I'll swim in the upper 70s F, but ideally 84F is my perfect temp. Wife wants it warmer than that.

Well, outside is still pretty muggy and hot, with the Sun getting lower so there's a mix. :p

Some of you guys have gone is some extreme coldness, I'm shivering thinking about it :|

carlscan26 said:
cubbybeave08 said:

Did you try a leaf net on a pole first?

Yep...they were so small I couldn't get them all into the net. It was time to go in.

My old pool was painted steel and wintered empty. It was deep well-filled every spring and water temp at fill was always 52°F. I would always do a lap at fill just so I could say I did.

I'm (a lot) older now and somehow the idea no longer attracts me. And my current pool is usually a balmy 55°F when the cover comes off.

Durk said:
My old pool was painted steel and wintered empty. It was deep well-filled every spring and water temp at fill was always 52°F. I would always do a lap at fill just so I could say I did.

I'm (a lot) older now and somehow the idea no longer attracts me. And my current pool is usually a balmy 55°F when the cover comes off.

Durk...you know that expression "it takes your breath away"...That was meant for guys like us...jumping into water that is in the 50s or lower...and Yep...it definitely makes the heart beat a lot quicker!... :party:

NJpoolguy said:
257WbyMag said:
60 degrees F. When we first had the pool.
I don't know quite how cold I have been in my pool. But I have snorkeled in caves in Mexico with out a wet suit and it was easily 60 degrees. Refreshing is the word. My ideal temp is 80-85.

Went overboard in 60 feet of water to cut downwrigger wire out of the propeller while trolling for salmon on lake Michigan in Early May...water temp was about 54 that day...This was 5 miles out...Easily colder than that. My Dad was steering at the time...made too sharp of a turn and caught up some of the 40 feet of wire in the Prop...So much so I had to come out twice because my fingers kept going numb and I couldn't get the wire cut after I would cut of and pull a wrap off. Never been numb in my pool though!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.