SWG or Automatic Chlorinator

Mar 13, 2012
Seabrook, Texas
Hello Everyone I'm new here but not new to pools, but I do have a question. I presently have a Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator which was installed with my new pool back in 08". Last year I replaced the flow switch and now the begining of this season the T-15 cell is no longer working, replacement cost around $500.00. Thinking about replacing it but now the power light on the generator comes on intermittanly. Should I stay with SWG or seek out another way. Thanks I have a 18' x 36' inground gunite pool

Welcome to TFP!

Stick with the SWCG. It is by far the easiest to maintain. Puck type chlorinators will get your CYA so high within half a season you will struggle to control algae.

Water chemistry can affect the life of a cell. Check out Pool School for guidance or post a full set of test results for advice from the forum.

JohnT said:
Welcome to TFP!

Stick with the SWCG. It is by far the easiest to maintain. Puck type chlorinators will get your CYA so high within half a season you will struggle to control algae.

Water chemistry can affect the life of a cell. Check out Pool School for guidance or post a full set of test results for advice from the forum.

Hey John T
Can I drop in a couple of chlorine pucks in the skimmer until I get my new T-15 cell?

Twista01 said:
My son dropped a few tabs in the skimmer and now it is a minty light green color, so I removed the pucks.
The water was clear prior to him putting in the pucks.
Been without chlorination for about 3 wks. 0 chlorine, 8.2 ph

Thanks

Well, I don't think the pucks changed the water color themselves. More likely the FC from the pucks just started to break down some algae hiding somewhere and it is now is suspension to be filtered out.

EDIT: And you likely need to get your Ph down ASAP to prevent scaling (possible cause of the cell failure?). You want the Ph "right" before you start your shocking process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.