Bromine or SWG

Feb 20, 2012
SE Pennsylvania
We've decided to go with in-ground vinyl. We would really like a SWG, but have been discouraged multiple times by various pool people. They're reasoning was that salt is corrosive to equipment, it voids many manufactures warranties, and can eat away at decking. Both a pool frog and bromine were suggested as alternatives that are not corrosive. We've ruled out the pool frog after much research, but would like input into the pros and cons of bromine. Also, any thoughts on SWGs would be appreciated also. We are tentatively planning to go with bromine, as the extremely reputable pool builder we have chosen recommends.

Pool frogs are not sanitizers. They simply add minerals to your pool that will cause problems for you later.

There are three EPA approved sanitizers for swimming pools: chlorine, bromine, and baquacil. Baquacil is expensive and will be tough to deal with later. Search "baquacil" here and see what I mean. Bromine is ok. Chlorine is the best way to go probably both pricewise and usagewise. A salt pool is a chlorine pool. The only difference is that with a salt pool, you generate your own chlorine. With a regular chlorine pool, you add the chlorine yourself.

Salt pools run around 3000 ppm salinity. Contrast that with ocean water which is aroung 35000 ppm salinity. There are no pool surfaces or products that cannot be used in a salt pool. It isn't corrosive to the degree that ocean water is. I would challenge your "pool people" to show you an example of what warranties are voided by having a salt pool. If they can and it is a common consumer level item, I would certainly be surprised.

Many many people here use SWGs and problems with corrosion are somewhere between extremely rare and non-existent. I highly recommend getting a SWG.

Bromine has a noticeable "chemical" smell that bothers some people, is fine with others. Bromine is also more affected by sunlight than chlorine, which means it ends up costing a little more in the long run. In general, bromine works out better for spas/hot tubs and is not preferred for outdoor swimming pools, though it does work if you want to go that way. One issue is that it is very difficult to switch away from bromine. Once there is bromine in the water it pretty much requires complete water replacement to switch to anything else.

JasonLion said:
Many many people here use SWGs and problems with corrosion are somewhere between extremely rare and non-existent. I highly recommend getting a SWG.

JasonLion summed it up perfectly. What I was trying to say in fewer words. : :-D

Our pool will have sunlight on it all day. Bromine, in that case, doesn't sound like a good option. We are the kind of people that will be diligent about our pool chemistry. Our understanding is that chemistry is as important, if not more, in the wear you get from your equipment t
As is your sanitizer of choice. We know so many people who have a SWG and love it. Our builder will do one, but they strongly recommend against it.

Welcome to tfp 2timePSULion :wave:
2timePSULion said:
Our builder will do one, but they strongly recommend against it.
This might be a warning sign for you. Even if they are reputable, they might not be a good fit for you. Personally, I would tend to think a builder with this advice is a quite a bit behind the times/technology. This might sound a little harsh, but any pool builder suggesting Bromine as a good choice over chlorine for an outdoor high sun exposure pool maybe should not be trusted? If you want, you could post your build details and get some opinions from some great pool building experts on here (I am not one of them).

A SWG is a good choice in most vinyl pools. The only exception I would say is for pools using limestone or travertine decking. I don't think that bromine would be a good choice. If you don't want to go with a SWG, then a good alternative would be to use liquid chlorine. You can manually add the liquid chlorine or you can use a feeder, such as a peristaltic pump. Pool equipment is made to hold up to salt pools, as a large percentage of pools now use salt. If you're going to get a gas heater, I would recommend getting one with a Cupro-Nickel Heat Exchanger. And, if you're going to get a heat pump, then I would recommend one with a titanium Heat Exchanger.

Hi 2timePSULion and welcome to TFP! :)
Well, I think you have your answers.
This TFP pool site is one of the very best online, with a ton of experienced pool advice.
The best part is we all help each other, if you go with the recommended advice you won't be out on a limb by yourself, we all can help with knowledge to have your pool a Trouble Free Pool! :whoot:

Chuck

As always, the advice on here is great! In the days since this post we've contacted two more builders and met with both. It's AMAZING how many different philosophies of pools exist. Fortunately, we may have come upon a builder whose business model and philosophy match ours perfectly. They also are BBB A+ rated with 0 complaints and just received the pool builder of the year award from the regional news media. Saltwater pools are their cup of tea, and they seem to really have thought about the pool as an entire entity as opposed to a puzzle that needs to be put together. Time will soon tell....I'll keep you update:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.