Another 2 Speed Automation question

maxepr1

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2011
DFW
I was fooling around today in my Aqua-logic P4 panel and I unlocked the configuration menu and in the Filter mode hitting the plus you can change between 1 and 2 speed pumps? But I have been told that I can not control a 2 speed pump with my system?? Is this just standard software loaded on all boards no matter what?

Is this the same as the pro logic?

I am looking at the ps4 and wondering if a 2 speed pump requires 2 of the 4 relays or if there is a pump relay and the 2 speed would use 1 of the 4 high voltage relays?

Very hard to get answers about these systems figured out before I buy.

Jason, I plan on using my light relay as my aux relay. During the swim season the relay is turned on and left on the whole season. I control the light by a manual switch in the house. So my plan is to twist the light wires together ant take out the relay altogether, thus freeing up a relay. Before I pull the trigger on a pump I want to make darn sure it's going to work. So when I switch the pump to 2 speed does it give 2 different timer settings? When I was playing with it I didn't see it?

jblauert, yes the whole series handles two speed pumps in essentially the same way, using two high voltage relays to control the two speeds.

The way I remember it, there are two timers for pump run time when in single speed mode, Filter T1 & Filter T2. When you switch to two speed pump mode you still have two timers, Filter Hi & Filter Lo, but one of them controls high speed and the other controls low speed.

One of the tricks is that you need to remember to switch the pump to a two speed pump in the pump setup and also setup the appropriate aux relay function to low speed in AUX setup or the mode is not completely activated.

photo-8.jpg

Jason this a wiring diagram that was giving to me by a Hayward/AquaLogic service tech on how to wire up the 2 speed pump. Looks a little strange to me as far as both relays getting full power? I do see in the timers menu under Filter "T1 & T2". And I do see the Speed settings from 1 to 2. jblauert, we have 4 relays in a P4 if you have 1 open relay then you can run a 2 speed pump. I have all 4 used currently (1 for pump, 1 for Polaris, 1 for waterfall pump, 1 for lights) I am going to remove my lights relay from the light function and change it to aux 1 for low speed. At least thats the plan anyway. I just want to make sure I cross my Ts and dot my Is before I pull the trigger.

Yes, that diagram is correct. The pump gets full power on either the high speed and common wires or on the low speed and common wires. Be careful to follow the diagram. Accidentally switching one of the pairs around will tend to create a short circuit (which will just trip the breaker, but still). The automation system makes sure that both speeds aren't active at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.