Filter sand replacement

Getting ready to replace the sand in our filter,not sure of the age of it as we bought the house last spring and was a foreclosure. Talked with several neighbors and none of them had any indications of how old it might be. The manufacture date on the filter is Jan of 2001.

It did a good job last summer for us but I have some cracked laterals as I am starting to get sand in the bottom right under the returns. I already replaced the spider gasket in the multivalve and still getting the sand. I did not close it over the winter. Just trying to get a jump on the pool season as my water temps are starting to creep up more and more, water temp over the weekend was 58. I will start having to monitor it on a daily basis hear in the next or so and start using the BBB that helped me have a sparkling pool all last summer.

Was reading the manual on line for our filter a Pentair Triton II TR60 and wanted to get some opinions on using pea gravel around the laterals then sand on top or just all sand?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Johnny

Update on my the replacement of my laterals, decided to go with all sand. I got started this morning using my shop vac to remove the sand. Removed it all and start taking laterals out. First 2, they unscrew real easy and I am thinking cool be done by lunch time and get to take wife out to lunch. Needless to say it didn't happen, third lateral I am unscrewing it and the hub assembly falls apart in my hand in the bottom of the filter. Finished taking laterals out and the hub assembly, did find out I had 3 cracked laterals and obviously the hub assembly, so that explains the sand in the pool underneath the returns. I had already replaced the spider gasket in the multivalve.

I come inside and start calling around to the different pool stores, etc and no one in the metro Atlanta area has the hub assembly. I repeat no one. Had several try to sell me a new filter. I don't need a new filter, just a $30 part. Ordered the hub from one that was very helpful with suggestions on who else to try. Should be in on Monday.

I just put the multivalve on recirculate and at least I can keep the water moving. My water temp is 65 and climbing with the warm weather we are having here in Atlanta. Started the BBB method earlier in the week and all my numbers are good there. Will keep check on them over the weekend and hopefully I will not have any troubles until I can get the part in on Monday and get everything back together.

Johnny

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.