Digital Chlorine and PH tester meter

Have you tried a digital water meter how did it perform

• Total voters
Mar 14, 2008
Digital Chlorine and PH tester meter

I am getting one of these just to see how it works. many say it too much hard work, but i've not see one like this. It has too metal sticks u dip in the pool and swirl then take them out. so if anyone want me to tell them how good it is it will be here next to my pool in 20 days time.

its from some distant land haha... just for my pool...

PH meters can work well if you calibrate them regularly. Without calibration against known samples they tend to drift significantly. There is one meter that can measure chlorine, but it is very expensive. Most of them measure ORP, which is related to the chlorine level but isn't really the same thing. ORP meters have various issues, often the readings correspond to the chlorine level but sometimes they don't. It isn't always easy to figure out if you are having problems with the ORP reading becoming unrelated to chlorine or with the chlorine level being off.

Are you talking about a completely electronic meter (ORP/pH) or one that uses chemical reagents and the meter then reads the results (colorimeter)? The first is only as good as the calibration (and they do nieed it on a regular basis), the second might be a bit more accurate then a plain chemical test but, IMHO, is not worth the extra expense of the meter.

If you are talking about a meter like thisthen you most likely got ripped off!

pH Meter

waterbear said:
Are you talking about a completely electronic meter (ORP/pH) or one that uses chemical reagents and the meter then reads the results (colorimeter)? The first is only as good as the calibration (and they do nieed it on a regular basis), the second might be a bit more accurate then a plain chemical test but, IMHO, is not worth the extra expense of the meter.

I have been using the LaMotte ColorQ pH meter (colorimeter) and have had good success. It is more accurate than the Taylor color comparator, reads out in more graduations, and takes much of the guesswork out of pH trends. I have been very happy with the LaMotte system and it is accurate on most tests and worth the expense. The ColorQ also analyzes Chlorine (FC and TC), TA, CYA, and Hardness. The Hardness test has some issues in the high range area (above 200ppm)

The colorQ (or any colorimter) is going to have issues with the cacium hardness test and the the total alkalinity test becuase it is using a colormetric test vs. a titration. I use a LaMotte Waterlink Express at work ($1000 colorimeter) and it also suffers problems with these two tests. LaMotte tech support advised me to do titrations for the most accurate results. Also, the chlorine test is a DPD test , which can bleach out at high sanitizer levels so it really is not as good as an FAS-DPD titration, which has an accuracy to .2 ppm (how much more do you need!0 and can titrate chlorine levels up to about 50 ppm. There have also been many documented issues with the CYA test in the colorQ and if it is not done exactly right it will not produce accurate results. It is useful for pH testing for those that have trouble reading a comparator block. (then again I test so much water I can read a pH test without the comparator, it just takes practice.)

The main reason why pool stores use colorimeters (or, UGG! strip readers!) is because it speeds up testing. I can do a whole battery of tests (FC, TC, pH, TA, CH, CYA, copper, and iron) in under 5 minutes including the printout. I do back up certain tests with Taylor titrations when warrented. If I depended on wet testing for every test it would talk substantially longer and the info would have to be manually entered into the computer for the printout. When I have people lined up 5 deep for water testing it's just not feasble. At home I use a TF100 testkit with a magnetic stirrer from Apollo pools! (and I own several different testkits from various comanies and a few digital meters that are worthless, IMHO!)

waterbear said:

Wow! I can't believe that thing is still around! That's the Freddy Krueger of scam pool testers; it just won't go away! I remember seeing it in Home Depot many years ago and laughing every time I passed it. There's no flippin' way it would ever work.

I think those guys even showed up at the NSPI International show in Chicago about 10 years ago all the way from China to peddle it.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............................

That wasn't a similar electronic meter, it was the bloody same one!!!!!

OK i got my Rear kicked on that one then.......haha

live and curse, thats what i always say .......lol............ kidding :-D

Next time instead of just running out and buying what might be junk ask about it in the forum. Some of us have been around the industry or have owned pools for a while and KNOW what works and what is a scam! (Anyone interested in some magnets to reduce scaling and soften your water? :shock: How about some swampland in the Everglades? :lol: )

This is exactly why this forum exists!

$21.99 for a digital meter? At that price, it may seems convincing but at an auction site, it only goes for $1.00 which make me very suspicious and I look up more at other sites. One site did mention "not suitable for salt water pool".

Just my 2 c.

Vincent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.