What's the best test kit?

Mar 12, 2012
Maryland
I'm new to pools. Learning as I'm going along (reading articles and product literature). My question is I see they sell 6-way test kits as well as 5-way test kits. Anyway, what is the testkit I should be getting. I have a 24' above ground pool.

I just bought this kit last summer, after letting the pool store test my chemistry.

The amount of reagents in this kit will last you more than one season, and each test will definitely help you keep the chemistry in check. I had to reorder the chlorine testing reagents only one time during the season, and still have plenty left to start the season with.

So, if you're testing every couple days, this kit will last you longer than one season. You get your money's worth

gkruske said:
I just bought this kit last summer, after letting the pool store test my chemistry.

The amount of reagents in this kit will last you more than one season, and each test will definitely help you keep the chemistry in check. I had to reorder the chlorine testing reagents only one time during the season, and still have plenty left to start the season with.

So, if you're testing every couple days, this kit will last you longer than one season. You get your money's worth

So what is a 6 way test kit? Like the HTH test kit they sell at the store?

Pretty much. TF100 has 7 tests, the main difference being the FAS/DPD test. This is the test I use more than anything, simply because I want pinpointed accuracy as to where my FC/CC levels are at. I'm not all that great at matching colors on a little sheet of paper.

steppinthrax said:
So what is a 6 way test kit? Like the HTH test kit they sell at the store?

No, this is not what they sell at Walmart. This kit tests everything you need to keep your pool nice all swim season and stop relying on inaccurate pool store and test strip results. It tests for:

Free chlorine (FC)
Combined Chlorine (CC)
pH
calcium (CH)
stabilizer (CYA
total alk (TA)

The FC test uses the FAS-DPD reagents. This allows measuring FC down to 0.5 ppm increments. Its a must if you are shocking the pool.

Most of the 6-way kits they sell are strips and they're not at all accurate. Lots of people report here with problems because they tried relying on strips.

The TF-100 kit is the best buy because it contains enough of the right reagents to keep your pool tested for at least two years and maybe more. You can buy cheaper kits but they don't have the tests you really need and/or they don't have nearly enough reagents to test more than a few times. Another way to think of it is that what you'll spend on a good test kit you'll more than make up for because you won't be buying chems you don't need, and you won't have to shock your pool because you can keep everything in line.

Just to join the party :wave: ...HTH 6-way kits only measure Total Chlorine (TC). To best care for your pool you will need a FAS/DPD Free Chlorine (FC) test. FC is the chlorine that kills HTH 6-way is an OTO Total Chlorine (TC) test. See the Chlorine section of this link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

My experience with the HTH 6-way (before I bit the bullet and got the TF-100) is that the volume is low on the titration fluids (won't give many tests) and titrants sometimes do not "work" maybe to being too old etc. I know its painful, but you will be money ahead with the TF-100 in the long run.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last year when I started using a good test kit I probably saved about $250 vs the pool store.

The majority of the summer days I would test (or guess for a couple days once I had a good idea and test 2-3x/week) then add a bit of chlorine. That's it.

The most I ever spent was about $33/mo on LC, only because my CYA was still high from the previous season. Eventually I expect it to be ~$25/mo.

oh - also, when I was new abbreviations sometimes threw me. (following links in signatures will help you find good information)

LC = liquid chlorine
CYA = Cyanuric acid (stabilizer)

Dittos for this kit, why spend thousands on a pool and cheap out on the test kit. The most important thing for your pool (an your wallet) is accurate testing, this kit is easy to use and accurate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.