Pink Slime

Yellowbug33

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
When we closed the pool last fall and they pulled out the cartridge filters I saw pink goop on them. the pool guy said it was pink algae just starting. So I've been looking up info on pink algae and find that it is NOT an algae and chlorine does not fix it. I've used the BBB method and all last year my numbers were always excellent. I never noticed any pink in the pool etc. So when we open in a couple of months I'd like to know what to do to make sure I don't have a problem. This is a link I found informative:
http://www.parpools.com/page/help/pool/pink_slime.html
I always use a solar cover unless the temp outside stays in the 90's for a few days as I like the pool water 85 degrees.
I don't know if I should use the items mentioned from the link above or if anyone else has a better way.

Shocking does not do it so I tend to believe that chlorine does not help. The pool was opened 3 weeks before no closing with no swimming and it was shocked many times so I don't believe shocking helps. I use the taylor test kit and the overnight reading so I know the pool was shocked probably 7 times before closing.

If it's organic, chlorine will kill it......it's that simple.

The fact that chlorine hasn't killed it yet simply means your chlorine is inadequate.....either in the dosage you use, the inability to get the chlorine where it needs to be (inside your cartridge) or that you have not exposed the algae long enough to the chlorine.

The reference you link is from a site that appears to favor baquacil as a sanitizer.......baquacil pools frequently end up with pink algae.

So, I would certainly clean the cartridges thoroughly and then I would soak them in a chlorine solution before putting them back in the filter. Then, given adequate chlorine, it will not return.

Your pool is not a baquacil pool, correct?

No I don't have a baquacil pool and I know that shocking is not a throw something in and its done. I did mention I shocked it approx. 7 times before closing and I know about FC level. I don't use the chemicals the link sent as I mentioned I use the BBB method.

Yellowbug,

At this point, it seems like you do not like what we are saying in this thread. Here is the dilemma for us.....

You have a couple of misconceptions about the nature of organics, chlorine and shocking and we can address it in a couple of ways.....

1. We can sorta' sugarcoat our response and gloss over the misconceptions and repeat the same suggestions we make to everyone....

2. Or, we can point out the misconceptions and hopefully get you back on track to a crystal clear pool. Believe me, it is easier to do #1 because nobody likes to post negative things to anyone. Good manners and treating people with respect are a central part of this forum.

That said, most of us here on the forum feel we have an obligation to correct misconceptions as soon as we see them and do our best to help Posters gain more and more understanding about their pool water chemistry.

The baquacil info from that link was defensive and, while perhaps technically correct, was misleading you on purpose to cover up a common problem with baquacil.

The answer to the organics in your pool is chlorine. That chlorine must be applied properly but when it is, it will eliminate the issues you are experiencing.

Yellowbug33 said:
Shocking does not do it so I tend to believe that chlorine does not help. The pool was opened 3 weeks before no closing with no swimming and it was shocked many times so I don't believe shocking helps. I use the taylor test kit and the overnight reading so I know the pool was shocked probably 7 times before closing.

If you follow our recommendations, recommendations that have worked for thousands of other people who have come here with problems (you aren't the only one to have pink slime in your pool and filter), then you will fix your problem. If you don't, then you can battle this problem on your own for the rest of the year. That's about it.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you meant by.
...the pool was shocked probably 7 times before closing.
If you meant you brought it back to shock level 7 times, that's not shocking it 7 times. Depending on how you did it, that may not even be properly shocking it once. I don't mean to be harsh about it because the goal here is to help you get your pool clean and clear of this, and to help you understand how to keep it from ever returning. So forgive me if it's coming across that way.

Pink slime is caused by a bacteria and this bacteria is no more difficult to kill than any other bacteria when free-floating (planktonic), but like some other bacteria it can form biofilms and it is those biofilms that are more resistant to chlorine. So the key is to prevent the bacteria from taking hold in the first place. If you didn't consistently maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio or if you had an area of very bad circulation in your filter, then the bacteria can take hold and form biofilms. Shocking at the normal shock level with an FC that is 40% of the CYA level can get rid of it unless the biofilm that has formed is particularly thick.

However, I wouldn't necessarily conclude that you actually have pink slime. Cartridge filters get all kinds of gooey material in them and if your family uses sunscreen as most do then it is far more likely that what you are seeing is that gooey mess leftover from the sunscreen though typically that is more flesh-colored than pink.

If you aren't replacing the cartridge filters, then follow the instructions for Cartridge Cleaning Instructions for Chlorine Users. I would also directly shock the filter housing itself -- one of the few times you would intentionally put bleach into the skimmer to go directly through the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't mean to offend anyone and in no way was I not treating anyone with respect nor good manners. I looked at Chem Geeks respond and tend to think he/she may have hit the nail on the head. The pool company takes my filters and cleans then for us. So please explain about shocking the filter housing. Should I wash it down with chlorox before the filters go in with chlorox or once the pool is up and running pour liquid chlorine into the skimmer when the pool is balanced or first thing upon opening.

Yes, I'd just take a solution of bleach which you can dilute somewhat -- say 10:1 -- and wipe down the cartridge housing surface. The chlorine and the wiping should get rid of anything there. It should be squeaky clean and not slimy. After you are done with the cleaning, you can then rinse before reassembling with the cartridges. I'd wait to clean shortly before you get the cartridges back so that you don't risk forming new biofilms if you wait too long after rinsing (> 8 hours) though if you did a good job cleaning then the risk is very low since there won't be any "food" for any bacteria to eat and grow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.