Can't get the CYA down

Jul 18, 2007
Last summer I battled all season with high CYA. It was always between 100-120 so I had to buy a lot of chlorine for maintenance. At the end of last season I drained a good amount of water from my 22000 gallon pool.

This weekend I opened the pool for the first time and added probably about 1/3 of well water back into the pool. I thought this would help lower my CYA but when I measured it today with the forum test kit it was still at 100.

Could this be possible considering how much fresh water I added to the pool? How accurate is the test kit when it comes to CYA and if it is accurate how can I get the CYA levels down?

Over 100 ppm, the tests aren't very accurate :( you may well have started much higher than you thought, As such, it's entirely possible to still have A LOT of cya in the water - as you know, the only solution is to partially drain the pool :evil:

Sorry to have to tell you this, but getting the cya under control now will make for a more 'trouble free' season

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm stuck with high CYA for the season again. I live in Atlanta and we're in a pretty bad drought. I'd hate to waste 10000 gallons of water just to make my life easier. Any other suggestions to lower it without wasting so much water?

All I can suggest is to not use any form of stabilized chlorine and hope this summer is very rainy! Also, if the CYA is very high it is possible for it to deposit on the walls of the pool and in the plumbing so when you start dilutiing more CYA dissolves and you think that it didn't lower at all. I know this is frustrating but once you actually start being able to fill and drain you will eventually get it lowered. There are some products that are supposed to lower CYA but they are expensive to use and I spoke with one of the men who developed it. He said it is not really going to help if you need to lower the CYA more than about 20 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.