Intelliflo VS pump -> Aqualink RS8... Intellicomm II?

Jan 18, 2011
Roseville, CA
I currently have a Jandy Aqualink RS (8157 Rev. JJ) controller and a single speed pump. I am looking at changing to a Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump. I've heard mixed reports as to integrating the pump and controller. One local store representative stated that it just needed a single relay to turn on/off the pump when it is in spa mode. Another said I'd have to get the Intellicomm II interface. The prices I was quoted JUST for the equipment alone was significantly more than I found online. Their cost of labor isn't THAT bad, but I doubt they'd do the labor if they didn't buy the equipment from them (didn't ask, but I doubt they'd like to work that way.)

I am wondering how difficult it would be for me to do the work. I've downloaded the installation instructions for the Intellicomm II interface, but it doesn't address how it is to be set-up software-wise. The installation instructions doesn't say anything about firmware of the Aqualink. I know that if I were to go with the Jandy JeP series pump, the firmware would have to be upgraded... something I would really rather not HAVE to do if I can avoid it. Anyone have experience working with getting the Pentair Intelliflo to interface with Aqualink?

Just as an overview of my pool...
  • 12,500 Gallons (between pool and spa)[/*:m:1h5cz5jc]
  • Sta-rite System:3 Cartridge filter[/*:m:1h5cz5jc]
  • 2 Jandy JVA2440 valves for switching between pool & spa modes[/*:m:1h5cz5jc]
  • 2 Sta-rite Max-E-Glas II pumps (1 for spa booster and 1 as main pump... the one I'm wanting to replace)[/*:m:1h5cz5jc]
  • Sta-rite Max-E-Glas pump for solar booster[/*:m:1h5cz5jc]
  • Sta-rite gas water heater[/*:m:1h5cz5jc]
  • 2" PVC piping[/*:m:1h5cz5jc]
  • Jandy Aqualink RS 6-button controller in house with panel inside electrical box saying RS8 (8157 Rev. JJ)[/*:m:1h5cz5jc]

The intellicomm takes the low voltage that would normally close a relay and converts that to a pump speed. Basically, you'd disconnect the relay that powered the pump and plug in the Intellicomm connector instead. Port 1 = pool, port 2 =spa, port 3 = solar, etc. Nothing is done in software.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.