Moving A Sand Filter

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I'm getting a new Sand Filter (the S310T2 From Hayward). I've never owned a Sand Filter before so quick question. If I install it as soon as it arrives (preffered), in 5 months I will have to move it because I'm moving the location of my pool equipment. Being that this is a 500lb filter, how would one go about doing that? Like, can I easily just it up and scoop out the sand, move it, and then put the sand back in? Or is that easier said than done, or even impossible?

The other option is to wait 5 months to install it, but it means dealing with another 5 months of my quirky DE filter.

Thanks

The filter cannot easily be moved with sand in it unless you have a tractor or something mechanical. You must first empty the sand to make it manageable.. Most folks scoop out the majority of it and then use a hose to wash out the rest. It is not overly easy but not overly hard, either.

Hey Null, good to see you again :wave:

It's possible to move a 500 lb sand filter, but you'd need to have unions and be sure that they would match back up on the new filter pad. On second thought, you can plumb it without the unions and add them when the filter is at it's new location :wink:

As long as your DE filter is 'working', you might as well wait until the equipment has been moved.

p.s. why the change?

Hey Waste!

How's it going? All is well here. I've been doing lots of upgrades over the last few years. Replaced all the piping, replaced the concrete with pavers, put in a salt water system, etc. The last area for me to address is the filter. I love how great the water looks with a DE filter, but despite all my best efforts, I've never been able to get away without having to bump the thing on a daily basis. It's inevitable though that I'll start skipping bumping it on some days, and then the pool gets little to no circulation. This shuts off the salt water system, so now it's not getting chlorine either. Next thing I know I've got algae, and now problem is even worse. So, I'm hoping to move into a filter that requires less attention. I know they say that with a properly balanced pool, this shouldn't be required for DE, but I've never been able to avoid it in my experience, so...

But yeah, maybe you're right that I'm better off waiting for the move before I installed it. That's why I figured I'd check. Thanks!

JohnT:
Yeah, I agree I'd definitely have to get the sand out first. I was just making sure even that would be possible without damaging the filter (I've never owned a sand so...). Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.