troubleshooting issue with the pool gas heater

bpham

Jan 21, 2012
Hi,

I have an inground pool and in ground spa. However, since I've not used the heater for a while, the heater is not working after a long time not being used. What I notice is that the pilot light is working, however, the rest of the heater elements (if I said this correctly) are not fired up. Here is the picture of the area that I'm talking about inside the heater. As you can see, there seems like a valves and it does open the gas to the pilot light, but there is no gas coming out into the big metal pipe which house the many nozzles to spray the gas out the the bottom. Please give me some instruction on how to fix this, and if I have to replace the valve, how do I do it safely and what tools do I need to have. I notice that both ends of the pipes going into that valve are threaded, but I have idea how to open the pipe. THanks.[attachment=0:1w4spuju]pool gas heater.jpg[/attachment:1w4spuju][attachment=0:1w4spuju]pool gas heater.jpg[/attachment:1w4spuju]

Attachments

• pool gas heater.jpg
    pool gas heater.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 75
Make sure the blue knob isn't just set on "pilot".

There's got to be some sort of safety - a thermocouple if the pilot stays lit all the time, or a airflow switch that could be full of spider webs - that kill the gas if there is no pilot light. Those are more likely to be a problem than the valve itself. There should also be a water flow switch.

Look for a schematic on the inside of the door or in the case. Or look for the brand and model of the heater and start googling it. Or just post that information here and hope one of the pros knows the weak spot in that particular heater.

I wouldn't start messing around replacing parts just yet.

Richard,

Yes, I think you're right, before thinking about buying the part and replace, I should, like you said, look around some more. OK, the switch I'm pretty sure there is only 2 positions, one off and the other on. I did try to move the switch back and forth, but not success. The funky thing the is the gas to the pilot works fine, there is fire lit up in the pilot but no fire from the real outlets which you can see from the first picture. Where would I find the airflow switch? I have a hunch that there is something that did not trigger the gas to open the valve for the main gas flow thru the big pipe, which could be a rusted connection, etc...

Anyone with some idea please let me know, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.