Intex and SWG's

Jul 22, 2011
Hey guys... it's about that time to start thinking about all this stuff again. Last year I barely maintained my sanity with the Intex SWG and am determined to not deal with it at all this year. The problems I had were pretty much endless, but the majority of it was not generating anything close to a decent free chlorine level any time after July 1st. I'm in Texas and I just don't think the Intex SWG has enough cowbell... I was running this thing for 12+ hrs a day sometimes and nothing... had it replaced twice and they claim there is nothing wrong with it. I could see it generating chlorine the whole time, but yeah... anyways... I am just going to go with something else.

I have been doing some research on different things and have boiled down to these 3 options:

Chlorease
SolarChlorXT
CompuPool CPSC16AG

I like all 3's "claim's", but would like some feedback if possible. I'm really leaning towards the CompuPool, but I don't want to be stuck having to run my pump for 12hrs a day again. Is there anyone in Texas (or somewhere else it gets ridiculously hot in the summer) that can speak to any of these?

What size pool do you have?
I use an Intex Model number 8110 and don't have any problems with it. Its been shut off over the winter but I plan to fire it up as soon as the water temps come up.

Were your CYA levels right, did you have a cover when the pool wasn't in use?

18x52... water was for all intent purposes... "perfect" according to Leslies. I had it tested every week to make sure all my tests were correct, shocked it weekly, cya was even run a tad higher than normal per their recommendations for texas, ph fine, water was clear (once i got rid of the stupid canister filter and pump and went with a sand one), just never seemed to have any free chlorine... the cover was never applied during the swim season as we weren't out of it long enough to have it on... lol

What is/was your CYA level?
Per http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator you will want it 70-80 ppm or you may not keep up with the sun. I wouldn't trust the Leslies's results, you should get your own test kit...pool stores are notorious for getting wrong results. See my sig for a link. I am in Minnesota, so my season is shorter and cooler, but my pool has quite a bit more volume than yours and the Intex works great for me. Minnesota get quite a bit hotter in the summer than people assume (our record high is higher than Florida's...but not Texas') thanks to our continental climate. Search the posts for other experiences using google search at bottom of page.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.