Hayward or Pentair DE

Mar 9, 2008
Hi All... We are looking to purchase a 21' AGP(Zodiac Revelation). I've already kinda settled on a DE filter and the dealer said I can have my choice of Pentair Star 50(ST50) or Hayward EC40. He tells me the Hayward is finger type and the Pentair is grid type. Any thoughts on which I should get would be appreciated.

This is a great forum...TIA.

JJ

P.S. I will probably post this same question on another forum in case you see it out there :)

JJ welcome to TFP!!

I recently had a post made into a sticky another one of waste's great posts :p :wink: :lol: Give it a read and I talk about DE filters and things you may need to know.

My best! advice is to get a larger filter - you may want to consider the EC- 50 or EC-65, also Hayward has similarly sized grid filters (Micro-Clear) that would allow you to have a Multiport, which would allow you some more options on using the unit (** I would opt for a filter with a multiport!!!!**) - 'up- sizing' the filter will allow for better filtration and less maintenance.

The one KEY thing we need to know is the size of the pump!! As I said, a larger filter than is the minimum size for a given pump will 'pay off in spades'.

(I don't want nor mean to push Hayward products, but they are the ones I have a lot of experience with - I'm sure that the Pentair filters are just as good)

Thanks for the reply. The proposed pump would be 1hp. They come as a pair so if I ask for the upgraded filter it may be paired with a more powerful pump. I'll have to see tomorrow.

I'll give your sticky a read<that>.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.