Reparing fiberglass stairs

kizerman

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I have a large and very strong retriever who has chipped my fiberglass stairs by standing on them and pushing off to chase tennis balls in the pool. I have three pea sized holes in the first layer of the fiberglass. They are not causing water loss however they look terrible and have fairly sharp edges.

Is there some type of white epoxy product I can use to fill them? I considered draining the water below the step and using white silicone just to fill them but I'm sure it would discolor quickly and probably not hold long. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Any boat shop probably or order online. Google "gel coat patch" or kit. It is a gel/paste that you apply to the hole/scratch and then use a film pressed over the top that smooths it out ... no sanding required. Some of the kits have colors that allow you to mix to match your hull although I see some that are just white which is cheaper and probably all you need.

Are the holes all the way through or just chips? I am not 100% sure how well it would work if it is a hole all the way through.
A picture might help a bit.

jblauert said:
Any boat shop probably or order online. Google "gel coat patch" or kit. It is a gel/paste that you apply to the hole/scratch and then use a film pressed over the top that smooths it out ... no sanding required. Some of the kits have colors that allow you to mix to match your hull although I see some that are just white which is cheaper and probably all you need.

Are the holes all the way through or just chips? I am not 100% sure how well it would work if it is a hole all the way through.
A picture might help a bit.

No the holes are not all the way through, just through the first layer and there is no water loss. I will try to post a picture later. Thanks.

Odds are you could probably find some white epoxy at a local hardware shop that would work too. I just know the gel coat kits are made to have no problems underwater. Some can be applied underwater as well.

jblauert said:
Odds are you could probably find some white epoxy at a local hardware shop that would work too. I just know the gel coat kits are made to have no problems underwater. Some can be applied underwater as well.

I just ordered a small tube of the white gel coat repair. I saw some that could be applied underwater but since I only have to drain a foot or so of water to get to the step I will just do it dry to get it right. I will post before and after pictures in case anyone else has this issue wants to see how it works.

Thanks so much for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.