Backwash water for irrigation?

Jun 2, 2008
Marana, AZ
I live in a desert area (outside Tucson) and have no landscaping near my pool. Since we live in an area that gets a grand total of about a foot of rain yearly, I was thinking if possible, it would be good to use backwash water to irrigate and therefore have some green stuff. Does anybody do this, and if so, what can survive the chlorine? I know it doesn't seem to kill the weeds! :wink:

I water my lawn with pool water, and it hasn't seemed to hurt it any. I don't use backwash water, but I have a DE filter. I suppose a sand filter would just be discharging the same dust that's already on the ground without adding any filter media, so it should be okay. I don't have a SWCG. I don't think a lawn would like to be salted repeatedly.

Go for it. I know chlorine doesnt affect bermuda or winter rye grass. I have Vincas in my landscape and around my pool that can survive just about anything. I even dump my salt water aquarium water on them when I do weekly water changes with no issues.

Not a problem. I run my backwash on the lawns and trees. A properly maintained pool has less chlorine in it than what many municipal drinking water systems provide from the tap. We also add salt to our water for "feel" and have noticed no adverse effect on the vegetation.

I also have a question on this, is it possible to irrigate from the backwash through a sprinkler or would the water pressure be to great if so how could i irrigate it so that the water is distributed over a larger area?

Jason0046 said:
I also have a question on this, is it possible to irrigate from the backwash through a sprinkler or would the water pressure be to great if so how could i irrigate it so that the water is distributed over a larger area?
Two people with cell phones is how I've done it. I hook up the backwash hose and get it in position, then call my wife and have her throw the switch while I play fireman with the hose and spray the front lawn with it. If it needs to be shut down fast, she's on the phone, and standing next to the switch.

The fibreclear didn't clump up or smell. If anything, the lawn seemed to appreciate the fertilizer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.