Algae Prevention Without Circulation

Jan 20, 2012
West KY
Hi folks. My new, unfinished pool is trying to have an algae bloom. For various reasons, it is only roughly 65% filled, and uncirculated. We're probably 2 weeks away from having it full and circulating, and the temps are warming up.
Tonight I added 6 quarts of 6% bleach (mixing 1 quart at a time in a 3 gallon bucket of water) and poured it slowly all around the pool. I then did my best to "mix" the water by using a dip net.
Based on my best guess of volume, and using the best guess chlorine chart, I'm assuming roughly a FC level of ~5.5ppm. We are supposed to have a few days of rain ahead of us now.
Questions:
1) Do you think this is enough for now
2) would it be safe to try and add some CYA? And if so
3) How much should I try to add and how should I do it.

I'm open to any other suggestions too. I'm trying to prevent a green swamp from happening.

Sent From My Inspire 4G Using Tapatalk

I don't see how you will completely prevent it (algae) without circulation but I am also a little surprised your pool water is warm enough to support the growth.....That's irrelevant but puzzling.

If you bring the FC up to around 5.0 each evening mixing it as thoroughly as you can, you may have some luck. Adding the CYA is probably not helpful because it is so slow dissolving and you can't circulate it.

I suspect you may not keep it as clean as you like but the FC won't cost much and it will help. Once your up and running, the Shock Process will completely fix your pool water and I think that's what you may have to plan on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.