Thanks, All Done!! WAS:Any BeeKeepers ...

Ohm_Boy

TFP Expert
May 1, 2007
Orlando, FL
Quick question - Is anyone a beekeeper in Orlando, or nearby?

We just found two fairly large (around a foot tall or so, one is slightly larger, one slightly smaller) bee "wads" in trees in the back yard, and I REALLY want someone to come get them and give them a new home.

Re: Any BeeKeepers in the Orlando, FL area?

Well I'm not close but you can take a few sliced oranges or a saucer of sugar water and place it in a box close to them, they should go into it but you may have to give them a shake. I have five hives :)

They have a orange tree, a lemon tree, and another... orange/grapefruit/whatever tree within 20 feet to play in and under, so it will not be likely to lure them to any citrus.
Here are some pics...
Bee0.jpg

Nest 1
Bee1.jpg

Nest 1 close

Bee2.jpg

Nest 2
Bee3.jpg

Nest 2 close

Nest 2 is the small one.

Before they swarm the fill-up so its almost impossible for them to sting. They can get agitated the longer they are homeless. Just leave them be and they will move on soon :) Don't kill them, they help to feed us :)

Oh, I don't want to kill them. I just don't want them nesting in my house, or my neighbor's house. I'm happy for them to be around, I'd just prefer a smaller quantity, or a greater distance away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ohm_Boy,

Please call All Florida Bee Removal at 321-206-5100 ASAP. They will get someone local to go out there to box them up and relocate them. They won't kill them. Do this quickly because the bees will find a home and it may not be where you want them to live. And once they find their home, then they will be defensive (since they would then have something to protect). They are probably pretty docile in the tree and you can probably walk right up to them. Kinda cool to watch.

Please call All Florida Bee Removal at 321-206-5100 ASAP
Holy Moley, these guys are awesome. The bees are gone. I got to watch from the relative safety of the screened porch. It was *WAY* less dramatic than it would have been if I'd tried something. It'd been downright boring if it hadn't been for the goosebumps and chills I had to fight through.

A BIG thanks to everyone for their help, at least now these bees can have a place and it won't be inside my walls or attic, or daughter's closet, or... or...

I just took a class on beekeeping. When a hive gets overpopulated a portion of it with a queen will "swarm", they are looking for a new hive (hole in tree, wall, etc). The queen will be in the center of the ball. During this time time they are not eating so they only have approx 5 days before they will starve. Its good to call a beekeeper as they are somewhat docile at this time and can be collected to start a new hive, plus you are possibly saving them from starvation. Not sure how the stat was recorded but I was told only about 30% of swarms survive to find a new hive. I guess down south there are more instance's of "africanized" bee's which are more aggressive than the European kind. Bees are the only insect that produces food that humans consume, and are responsible for most pollination, especially the California almond orchards, which are responsible for supporting approx 90% of the bee keepers in the US.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.