Skimmer and water level???

Feb 22, 2012
Ok first off I have a gripe!!!!!!!! No where in Pool School did I see ANYTHING about looking out for SNAKES in the skimmer!!!!!!!! :shock: Luckly he was very small and very scared of me too!! Ok now for the real question where should my water level be and where is the best place to check it from?? I noticed the other day that the skimmer furthest from the pump seemed to be out of water and sucking air before the one near the pump...is this normal???? I ran the water for about 20 minutes yesterday morning the headed to bed (night shift worker) when I got up again the skimmer was sucking air but I had left the fountain on and the wind blew about 40 mph so I think I lost some water to the air yesterday. Waiting on test kit and then I am sure the questions will come quicker!!!...LOL

Thanks for all your help!
Brent

BHall235 said:
Ok first off I have a gripe!!!!!!!! No where in Pool School did I see ANYTHING about looking out for SNAKES in the skimmer!!!!!!!! :shock: Luckly he was very small and very scared of me too!!
:shock: I have a quite a population of garter snakes here...if I had an IGP i know I would have experienced this already. What kind of snake?

BHall235 said:
Ok now for the real question where should my water level be and where is the best place to check it from?? I noticed the other day that the skimmer furthest from the pump seemed to be out of water and sucking air before the one near the pump...is this normal???? I ran the water for about 20 minutes yesterday morning the headed to bed (night shift worker) when I got up again the skimmer was sucking air but I had left the fountain on and the wind blew about 40 mph so I think I lost some water to the air yesterday. Waiting on test kit and then I am sure the questions will come quicker!!!...LOL
My skimmer works without sucking air if the level is 1.25 inches higher then low edge of the skimmer pool side opening. As for a high level, I try to no go higher than 1 inch below the top of the pool side skimmer opening. Have you checked to makes sure you skimmer weir door is not stuck? That would be my first guess if this is only happening at one skimmer.

Really, the level needs to be where ever the system isn't sucking in air. It sounds like your skimmers aren't perfectly level with each other. In that case you need to measure the water in the highest skimmer and keep it at about 2/3rds to 3/4ths up the face of the skimmer.

Oh yeah, watch out for snakes and other critters when opening the skimmer top. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.