Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover on all the time

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover on all the time

I read it on this forum and have looked for it again; still can’t find it.

Someone mentioned that you shouldn’t leave a solar cover on all the time and why.
    It seemed to have to do with the pool chemistry and what it did to it. I looked at it and then wanted to read it again; since I have forgotten why.

Living in Central New York, most summer nights are cool and the days are warm, I leave my cover on as long as no one is swimming and always put it back on at dusk.

Could who ever posted that please repost it and explain why again?
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    The pool needs time to breathe now and then. There are various reactions that take place at the surface. For example some chlorine breakdown products that you don't want accumulating will evaporate when the pool is uncovered. It is also nice to let the water get at least a little sunlight to help break down any CC that might form. You only need a little open time, an average of one hour a day is plenty, less than that in most situations.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    I leave my solar cover on all week and remove on weekends. I have seen no issues so far.

The cover is too big to be taken off and on every day. Is it better to partialy pull back the cover and leave approx 1/3 of the pool uncovered for a couple of hours a day? (deep end I suppose?)
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

4. Back To Top    #4

Intex solar cove

My Intex solar cover has deliberate breath holes. It says its a United Kingdom law on the packaging.

At first i was like what the .... then i read the package. It says its in case some one falls into the pool and these breath holes let them live longer

The holes are arranged in a circle. the circle is about 30cm - 40 cm in diameter. these holes which you can easily forget are there, are about 1.5cm in diameter.

So lots of circulation from the filter pump i hope those gases will just get lost though the holes.

The difference in temperature with the solar cover was not great but it i was able to tell the difference in temperature from when it wasnt on and when it was on, also the sun was not that sunny so it will get warmer.

Regards
    Happy swimming!

5. Back To Top    #5

I left mine on as long as no one was in the pool. My one bad experience, which is not definitively traced back to the cover, was a slimy liner. My PB advised that I leave it off during hot spells. I did not listen and the vinyl got slimy. Probably the beginning of an algae bloom easily handled with some shock and scrubbing. This was the only issue I had all summer long and I live in NY as well.

My understanding of how chlorine works, which is very limited, is that in one way, chlorine will break contaminates down through oxidation. Being this said and to JasonLion's post, the pool probably should breathe once in a while.

This year I will follow this rule.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

6. Back To Top    #6
    My cover is on virtually any time we are not in the pool. During warm days, we are in every day but otherwise, its on. We don't have any issues.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Great question and great answers.
    My new pool has been covered most of the week and I uncover during the weekends.
    As I get closer to swimming time I'm sure the cover will be off all the time.

I have been told that the cover reduces evaporation which is very important here in Arizona with a humidity level of 5 to 10%. Water evaporates quickly here. LOL

Iggy
    In-Ground SWG pool 11,000 gal., Jandy CL460 Filter, 1.5hp Stealth Jandy pump, Paramount PV3 In-Floor cleaning sys., Goldline SWG, Hayward Color Logic 2.5 LED Light