Long solar temp sensor wire ???

jblizzle

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Planning on putting a controller on our solar system. House is ~75' from equipment pad so the 15' 20GA wire that seems typical for the temperature sensor is obviously not going to work.

In the Hayward manual I see the note "For long runs or runs near other electrical wiring use shielded cable (Belden 8428 for outdoor use)". A quick Google reveals that 8428 is a shielded 18GA twisted pair typically used for audio microphones and a 100' length is > $300 :shock: That seems a bit excessive for a $20 sensor. Unfortunately, there is really no good place closer to the pad.

I understand that there is more resistance as the wire gets longer but is this really necessary?

Does anyone out there have a sensor run close to 100' and what kind of wire are you using?

The reason it calls for the 8428 is that it has a braided shield. Most shielded cables use a foil shield or are not 100% shielded. Do you need a braided shield? You don't really know until you've installed it and you have problems. If you're not running it in close proximity to AC power I'd say the foil shielded would be fine.

Most electrical supply or industrial automation houses carry twisted shielded pair cable. 16 or 18 awg will be fine. Whichever they normally carry in stock.

Pentair's SolarTouch manual calls "Use waterproof connectors to connect the sensor to the cable. Use twisted pair 20 AWG outdoor rated sensor wiring and be sure the wire connections are protected from the environment. Use shielded cable for long runs (300 ft. - 90 m) total wire length maximum) or runs near other electrical wiring."

here is some i found, but I know nothing about wire
Belden 5400F1 20 AWG 2 Conductor Foil Shield Water-Blocked - i can only find 1000' for $190 shipped
Belden 5300U1 18 AWG 2 Conductor, Water Resistant, No Shield about $200 for 1000' 100' for $30 at www.audiovideoelectric.com/
Belden 5340U1 - 18 AWG tinned copper conductors, PVC insulation, cabled with overall water-blocking tape, Black PVC jacket with rip cord. Sequential footage marking every two feet. $200 for 1000'

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.