Pouring Equipment Pad Questions

jblizzle

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Currently my heat, pump and filter are sitting on 1'x1' thin pavers which do not appear to have been set down properly as they are not even. See previous post HERE for pix.

Anyway, since I want to redo the plumbing anyway to fix some things, probably would be a good time to put down a proper equipment pad ... hopefully before it gets too warm and the pool goes green. Why I did not get around to this over the winter is unknown :mrgreen:

So what should I consider when putting down a cement pad?
How thick?
Footer needed around the edge?
Rebar needed? If so how much?
Should I consider an alternative to concrete like the AC plastic pads, or would they end up costing more?

Thanks.

Melt In The Sun said:
While I don't have a whole lot of knowledge regarding this, I'm also in Tucson and mine is on a plastic AC pad with no issues.

Does everything fit on one pad? With my heater that might be a bit tight depending on how large a pad is available.

Remember where you got it?

I would stick with large pavers or removable platform so you can always get to the pipes. If the soil is packed properly, they shouldn't shift.

Stick with the pavers were you have them now. Put down some weed blocking fabric and then spread gravel around the pipes. Gravel with a nice edge looks neat and stops weeds but still allows acess under it if ever needed.

Pavers with a firm sand base should never move. If they do it will be minimal and shouldn't cause any equipment problems.

Concrete DIY is a huge pita to get a good finish on it. Like many trades, the guys ho do it every day make it look easy. It isn't!

Well. Thanks for the opinions. I was starting to wonder if the hassle of pouring a slab was going to be worth it ... not to mention having to wait days to cure. I had also thought about access to pipes under the slab.

So, maybe I will see if I can find some bigger pavers that could hold each piece of equipment (instead of the current 4 each for the heater and filter) and then get a proper compacted base and clean up the area. Luckily this stuff is out of view so it does not have to really look nice, but I would like to get rid of all the stupid weeds.

You can not see it in the pix, but there is actually a sidewalk in front of the equipment. Problem is ... that is a low point in the yard so all the dirt just washes over the top of the sidewalk :hammer: Sure would have been nice if it was taller, but probably not worth the hassle to do anything about it ... I suppose I could actually mortar some tiles/pavers on it so at least my wet feet don't get dirty when I have to mess with something while swimming.

Hmmm ... just found this. Three of these could work well ... only concern is they are only 1.5" thick.

I know there are plenty of options for 18"x18", but I think 24" square would work better.

The A/C pad would work out awesome. I wonder if you could find some on craigslist? As far as your weeds go....have you put down a pre-emergent? Now is a good time to do it. It wont kill your current weeds but it will keep them from coming back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.