New member with new pool

Mar 6, 2012
Kansas City, MO
First off hey, my name is Calvin.

So the GF and I get the keys to our new house Friday. The house has a pool and hot tub, both in ground. I've got no experience with this kind of stuff. I don't have any test results, nor do I know any specifics about the pool, size, or the filtration system.
What should I do this weekend to start prepping this and fixing any issues?
I don't know if the stuff was winterized properly before foreclosure, and don't know what damage, if any, either of them have. Any help on what I should do to check it out? What to look for?
We weren't allowed to take the cover off the pool, water level looked to be basically full though.
I know we need to run tests, the water did have some algae from what I could see, and was a little cloudy.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
I've started reading through some stuff, it's somewhat overwhelming to a newcomer, but I'm working on it...

The best thing you can do is keep reading.

A good test kit should be pretty close to the top of the list of things needed.

Once you figure a few things out put the equip info in your sig and come back and start asking questions. We're happy to help.

:wave: Hey Calvin, welcome to TFP! Congratulations on your new house and pool! Although pools do take some work to maintain, you have landed at the right place for help.

First off, you are correct that you should get a test kit. Here is a link to a recent posts about TFTestKits yes-just-in-time-for-spring-and-summer-t40951.html

As far as identifying and understanding your equipment, the visual encyclopedia in Pool School can be a great resource! pool-school/visual_encyclopedia You could also take some pictures of your gear and we can help you identify it!

Spend some time in the Pool School section and you will be well on your way to a great pool season!

Hi Calvin and welcome to TFP! :-D
I was a little overwhelmed at first as I'm sure many others were too.
Good news to hear you got your TF100 test kit ordered, you will find out that this kit is the BEST TOOL in your toolbox for fixing your pool water chemistry! :shock:
Follow these instructions here:
what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html
As you learn about your pool, start a post about any questions you might have.
In less than a few months I was on my way to understanding pool chemistry.
My pool is so much fun and truly a Trouble Free Pool because of this wonderful forum. :whoot:

Chuck

You could also take some pictures of your gear and we can help you identify it!
Think I'll take you up on your offer. Didn't have a whole lot of time to spend in there, but I got into the equipment area last night and took these cell pics. Let's see how far off I am
http://imageshack.us/homepage/?user=wizaugh
1. shows the state of the hot tub. Didn't get one of the pool water, but it's very green and very full!
2. the heater?
3-4 pumps?
5 chlorinator
6 no clue...
7 sand filter?
8 pipes and valves (they all look to be open, are they supposed to be?)
9 ?
10 close up of 7 again
11 timer?
12 thermostat and ?
Page 2
1 self explanatory
2 shows the covered pool

How can I tell if everything is in working order?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.