Autopilot Total Control ?

andy

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 30, 2007
I've disconnected my cell and am running my pool without salt. Is there a way to get the readout on the autopilot to still show me the orp and ph readings all the time? Right now it has the check system light blinking and just reads:
ERROR PURIFY OFF
ADD SALT 417LB

To get the orp and ph readings I have to go through the test mode.

I don't think so. Once you add salt you should be able to set it up to display the PH and ORP even with the acid feed and cell disabled. I have never found a way around the salt sensor or the main flow sensor, but it is possible to avoid most of the other warning messages with a little creativity.

JasonLion said:
Once you add salt you should be able to set it up to display the PH and ORP even with the PH feed and cell disabled.

I'm not going to add salt. I'm just using the total control to control my ph and for the sensor readouts.

1. Take the tri sensor out.
2. Plug the hole with blocking cap.
3. Tape the flow sensor together so it thinks there is flow.
4. Put the tri sensor in a bucket of salty water.
3. Set chlorine output to 0%.

Now you need to make sure that your cell will not start working when there is no flow, otherwise the gas accumulated in manifold can blow up. So try first not taping the flow sensor and see if it will still do what you need.
If it shows you no flow error, then what you can do is take the cell out and put it in the same bucket of water. and then tape the flow sensor.

In that case you would need to replace the cell by a piece of pipe, or cut the manifold out completely and replace it by pipe, unless you have valves to block it off.

JasonLion said:
I have never found a way around the salt sensor or the main flow sensor, but it is possible to avoid most of the other warning messages with a little creativity.

A way around flow censor would be to cut the wire and join it permanently ;)
Now with salt sensor it depends on which sensor AutoPilot uses, but i'm pretty sure there are ways too.

Strannik said:
On another thought, can you calibrate the salt sensor, telling it that this is normal salt level. Not sure how far it will let you to adjust but always worth a try ;)

This may be my best bet if it will go that low. I already have a dummy(empty) cell in place.

(edit) After checking, the manual says it will only adjust + or - 1000 ppm. Hopefully there is another easy way to get around it.

On another thought: put some salty water in a condom, attach a condom so a salt sensor is submerged in water and tie it with a rubber band so a condom will not come off. Now i'm not sure how salt affects condoms, but if it gets torn, use a balloon next time :)

I fail to understand why you do not want to add the salt yet?

Tricking the tri-sensor is cause to void warranty. Especially if there's a hydrogen gas accumulation, as Strannik mentioned, or damage to the flow switch paddle (tape the flow senor together?), or tri-sensor cable (cut the flow wires???), or damage to the manifold assembly (remove the tri-sensor and plug the hole with a blocking cap?????).

If you add the appropriate amount of salt, you can disconnect the cell cord and turn the acid pump's manual switch to OFF.
This will allow you to monitor the ORP and pH readings.

I can understand if you have a new plaster finish and the manufacturer of the plaster has a statement about waiting a certain period of time, or you can void warranty.

PLEASE let me know what you're trying to accomplish and I can try to help, without damaging the equipment.

I do not want to use salt/chlorine generation. I use to have salt water and have since changed to regular water,(for my specific application the salt water was a bad idea) but would like to keep using the total control for monitoring PH and ORP levels and adding acid. Since my PH always goes up slowly I am currently using the total control to manage my PH but would like to get rid of the error message from not having salt in the pool so I could see the PH and ORP readings all the time. Right now I have to go through the menu and run the test pool pilot mode to see what the current ph and orp reading are.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don't have to.
According to Autopilot manual, tri-sensor is supposed to be taken out and cleaned periodically.
All you have to do is take it out, following the manual procedures, fill the condom(or you can cut a finger from the household rubber glove) with salty water, slide it over salinity sensor and secure it with rubber band.

Last step would be putting the tri-sensor back, again according to the procedures in the manual.

You don't need to actually break anything.

P.S. Instructions for taking out the tri-sensor assembly are on page 40 of the user manual downloadable from their website.

andy said:
I do not want to use salt/chlorine generation. I use to have salt water and have since changed to regular water,(for my specific application the salt water was a bad idea) but would like to keep using the total control for monitoring PH and ORP levels and adding acid. Since my PH always goes up slowly I am currently using the total control to manage my PH but would like to get rid of the error message from not having salt in the pool so I could see the PH and ORP readings all the time. Right now I have to go through the menu and run the test pool pilot mode to see what the current ph and orp reading are.

Gotcha.
Can you try and add enough salt to get to 1000 ppm? If so, you can use the salt calibration to get it past the warning point of 1900 ppm, which would avoid the Check System light, and everything should operate as you want.

Poolsean said:
Gotcha.
Can you try and add enough salt to get to 1000 ppm? If so, you can use the salt calibration to get it past the warning point of 1900 ppm, which would avoid the Check System light, and everything should operate as you want.

I need to avoid adding more salt to my water. Is there any other way? If not I will just leave it as is and use the test pool pilot option to check ph and orp readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.