Need Advice on buying a AGP

Mar 6, 2012
I'm currently looking to buy an above ground pool and I need some advice. What are some good brands, prefered styles (round or oval),(resin or resin coated steel), sizing , features...etc. I grew up with an inground pool but have never swam in an AGP. I have two kids 8 and 14 yrs. Lots of room on an acreage. I have my eye on a used 24' x 52" round, resin coated gavanized steel frame, Mighty Sun is the brand. Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, solar panels for heat.

If it's in good shape and there are no serious rusting or any wrinkles in the wall, AND you can get it at a good price, I'd say go for it. You'll have to replace the liner and the sand (you don't want to move the filter with sand in it). Other than that, a little plumbing is all you need.

search search search, read read read.
That's my personal recommendation, using the time before spring to get better educated and prepared for a spring install.
Read Pool School on this site and search for reviews and manufacturers.

I have a Sharkline Matrix bought from Family Pool Fun.com and recommend both.

Thanks for the advice. I've been checking out new pool venders online aswell, it looks like there are decent pool packages for approx the same asking price as the used one. "Poolsuppliescanada.ca" appears to have some good deals. This is a great site looks like I have some reading to do and some decisions to make.

Frostbite said:
Thanks for the advice. I've been checking out new pool venders online aswell, it looks like there are decent pool packages for approx the same asking price as the used one. "Poolsuppliescanada.ca" appears to have some good deals. This is a great site looks like I have some reading to do and some decisions to make.
I would definitely agree that if you pay much for a used AGP you should buy a new one instead. I would be looking for sellers of used AGPs that are motivated to get it out of their yard. I got mine for free, but if I had to pay, I would not have paid more than a few hundred (3) for it...and only if it was in good shape. Maybe a little more if it had rockstar equipment that was verified working...and maybe if it was already taken down (though it is harder to inspect then, but easier on the body). But I am cheap.

linen said:
I would definitely agree that if you pay much for a used AGP you should buy a new one instead. I would be looking for sellers of used AGPs that are motivated to get it out of their yard. I got mine for free, but if I had to pay, I would not have paid more than a few hundred (3) for it...and only if it was in good shape. Maybe a little more if it had rockstar equipment that was verified working...and maybe if it was already taken down (though it is harder to inspect then, but easier on the body). But I am cheap.

Hi Cheap,
Meet Cheap Too! :lol:

I bought a used 21' Princeton with 1 hp pump and Hayward cartridge filter for $200 if I took it down.
Most of the bottom rails were gone as it was buried about 6-12"
Liner in good shape but some fading from over bleaching as the pool owner was a puck freak with a lot of floaters.

New rails, a few new top plates, a bolt set, new 72" expandable liner, case of epoxy paint from home depot.
I'm adding all pool wall and bottom foam for a smoother look and will have right at $1000 for a $2800-3000 pool new.

Deals can be had, :cool: mine was a Craigslist ad.
Working slowly to get it up soon.

Chuck

Attachments

• buy 21 3.jpg
    buy 21 3.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 242
  • buy 21 2.jpg
    buy 21 2.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 242
  • buy 21 1.jpg
    buy 21 1.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 242
Chuck,

Sounds like a great deal! Ours is a 21' off of CL as well. As you and I (and others) have found, if you willing to do a little work, an AGP can very affordable. Me and my boys worked at it though. If I had to pay $3K plus install, we would not have a pool right now.
Expandable liner sounds like you are planning a deep end...I am glad I did it for ours! Which reminds me, I think I owe you a response on another thread about how I did my deep end... http://www.troublefreepool.com/post333379.html#p333379

I will go there and a least make a start on explaining how I did mine.

linen

Although that looks to be in good shape, I would probably walk away. Seems like a high price for used (more than half of a new one). If i knew it was in perfect shape and the equipment is almost new, it might be reasonable at 1000. Actually I am too cheap for that... :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agreed, 2 grand for that model of pool is steep, for a bit more you can get a brand new comparable pool. If your near Winnipeg check out NorthWestWholesale.com they are in Winnipeg and have pretty good prices on pools although I think they only carry resin models which are a a few dollars more than all steel. Last year they had a free pool give away contest.

THey were my number 2 choice for a pool, almost bought from them.

Thanks Cramar, yes I'm close to Winnipeg (45mins away), I'll have to check out Northwestwholesale.com. Are resin pools worth the extra cash, what are the advantages of going resin. I'll also check out Familypoolfun.com your pool package is basically what I'm looking for. Do you find 20' x 54" a resonable size (cost wise) to operate.

I wanted resin so the rails and components wouldn't rust, I think it's worth the extra money but get what you can afford. I know a few people that dealt with Northwest and said good things, I think their pools kits are priced well but I think their accessories are pricey.

We had a particular spot we wanted our pool and 20' was perfect, I wish I had bigger but the only spot would be in the rear of our yard and we didn't want so far from the house. I think 20' is a good size, I think there's enough room, but I would recommend going as big as you can afford.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.