autopilot sizing question

Oct 18, 2007
Central Texas
My pool is 38,000 gallons and I was wondering if I should go with the SC48 or the SC60? I do run my pool pump 24x7 at a low speed. Ideally, 27 GPM to give me one turnover per day.

Can anyone with autopilot experience advise if I should right size or go a little larger than needed?

Thank you,

Salt cells are sized to provide the rated output over a 24 hour period. If you size the cell exactly to your pool size you'll have to run your pump 24 hours a day in order to maintain the proper FC level. That's part of the reason we recommend getting a larger cell. The other reason is that if you oversize it the cell will last longer because the life is rated in amphours, so a cell that's large enough that it can be turned down will last longer.

Going with the SC-60 would be your best choice as it's just over 1½ times the pool size. We recommend going 1½ to 3 times the pool size when buying a cell. Going larger than 3 times has its problems too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.