Where did all my salt go?

Lershac

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
So last week in preparation for a gathering I pulled my cover off my pool (thereby dumping a huge amount of Crud that had collected on top into my pool).

With the addition of the large amount of crudness in the pool (which was clear before I pulled it off) I was worried about the load on the chlorine level in the pool, and decided to bump up the SWG to 100% for a couple of hours (I was out of bleach on hand) until I could go get some bleach from the store.

The debris in the pool was mostly these very fine husk-looking things from my blooming neighbors trees and my two cypress trees in the back of the yard.

I checked the salt level, and it was at 3000, a little on the lower end of the scale for my swg.

After a few hours I got an alert that my SWG was shutting off due to low salt. (???) and I checked and it was at 2500. I added my emergency bag of salt and let it mix.

A few hours later I checked again, and it was at 2000, EVEN LOWER! ?????

I hadnt drained any water in weeks, and had only added enough to replace evaporative losses.

I wonder where my salt went?

After vacuuming and cleaning the pool, I discovered the husk things had made it through my skimmer basket (forgot to put on the nylons) and filled up the pump basket slap full, and was starving my pump.

I wonder if the husk things have some sort of salt-absorbative properties? Anyone heard of anything like this? Salt just disappearing from the pool?

I checked both with strips and the readout from my SWG (which is never exactly right but usually pretty close within 1-200ppm.) and they agreed that my salt had fled.

Any ideas?

So, the pump had been on and the water had mixed for a while before you took the first salt reading that resulted 3000 ppm? Also, was that initial test by test strip or was it what your SWCG told you it was?

<----scratches head

It can take salty and not so slaty water a while to throughly mix together. The water in the pool presumably had SWG salt levels from last year, while the water from on top of the cover presumably had extremely low salt levels. The standard (somewhat conservative) rule in a situation like that one is to leave the pump running for 24 hours to throughly mix everything together. In the meantime, the salt sensor will see regions of salty water and regions of not so salty water and produce inconsistent readings.

Well the pool was never "winterized", the pump had been running 8hours a day every day prior to the cover being taken off. Temps were in the high 60 to high 80s (heating it up) and the swg was def working as the chlorine level was good (even a might high) prior to cover removal. This was a solar cover, and not much water on top, probably less than 50 gal of (yucky) water.

It's a real head scratcher. I added several bags of salt to bring it in line today.

I think it's aliens. Definitely aliens.

Lershac said:
I think it's aliens. Definitely aliens.
If it is due to aliens, then this might be helpful.

320x240.jpg

M-113 salt creature

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.