Pump & impeller size question. SOLVED!

Jul 8, 2011
SW MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This question is just for my general knowledge and not related to a problem. I've read here a lot about pumps and matching impellers to motors. A good match is most efficient, an under-sized impeller is okay but not ideal, an over-sized impeller is bad for the motor. So on a two speed pump why doesn't the motor have a problem when on slow and the impeller is over-sized for the motor hp? I assume it has to do with the different RPM's and maybe different windings but I'm not sure. Please educate me. :-D

Re: Pump & impeller size question

It has to do with the pump affinity laws. When a pump motor runs at half speed (low speed), the flow rate is half of what it is on high speed. But also, the head pressure drops by a factor of 4. Hydraulic power (power delivered to the water) is related to the product of both flow rate and head so at half speed, the hydraulic power drops by a factor of 8 and so does the shaft power. However, because of the way a two speed motor is designed, the efficiency drops by 50% on low speed so the motor input power drops only by a factor of 4. A VS pump does not suffer as much from this drop in efficiency because the line frequency is changed instead of the winding configuration.

Re: Pump & impeller size question

So to restate in very simplistic terms, because resistance to flow as well as flow itself is lower you won't damage the motor. The pump is most efficient at full speed, loses some efficiency at low speed but overall power consumption is lower therefore saving money. If that's an accurate restatement I think I understand. Thank you. I'd read about the lower flow and flow resistance but hadn't put it together with the over-sized impeller comments. The two are usually discussed separately and I hadn't seen any discussion of the two speed motors with impeller sizing. I knew there had to be a reason and it was bugging me that I hadn't figured it out. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.