Replace pool pump motor

Mar 5, 2012
i need to replace my pool pump motor (i think) and was thinking i would try to do the work myself. Doable? Or should i get a professional. I am pretty handy and can manage most home improvement projects.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Replacing the motor is not too bad a job. If you're handy and have the tools, you can easily do it. You'll need a new seal too.

There's a post that outlines changing the seal on a Whisperflo. Even if yours isn't a Whisperflo it'll be close enough to help you along.

Without knowing what pump you have or where you're located and if it's a 1-speed or 2-speed I'd say $150 to $250. If it's not a 2-speed you should consider getting one. It'll help on your electric bill.

It is much more common for a motor to go out than an impeller (but it can happen). Also, you should compare the price of a new motor (and seal) to the price of a new pump. Like Bama said, upgrading to a 2-speed from a single speed will save you money in the long run. If you take some pics of your pump, I am sure someone here can help identify it.

thanks for all the help guys. could it just be the capacitor? when i flip the switch to turn the motor on it hums for a few seconds and then kicks off. after 5 minutes this happens again until the time between "hums" gets to be significant. could this be the capacitor or is this what a dying motor sounds like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.