Algae help

eeece

Mar 5, 2012
Australia
I'm kinda new to looking after my pool, and have a few questions, and advice if possible.

I have a salt water pool, got the water tested and all is good, except I've been having alot of algae problems that never seems to go away. It's pretty bad on the bottom and sides, with some black spots too.

From adding super chlorinate, and algae liquid, the pool turned a more cloudy aqua and so after a day I started to brush the pool. From doing this, the water got extremely cloudy and the bottom wasn't visible anymore which had a more dark green colour. This is basically a cycle that never ends.

Considering I have a salt pool, isn't chlorine not recommended by much usage regarding algae control? Also, I've read you should vacuum through the waste and not the filter... :oops: How does that work? I usually vacuum, then backwash, rinse, then back to filter.

Sorry for the basic naive questions :?

Cheers,

Re: Algaeee help

Welcome to TFP!

To help you, we're going to need test results. Chlorine levels and CYA (stabilizer) for sure.

As John T said, we need test results and it would help if you'd tell us what equipment you have.

A salt pool is a chlorine pool so adding bleach (liquid chlorine) is fine but without test results you're adding blind and will most likely never get your problem solved.

The good news is now that you've found this place you can read and learn how to maintain your pool properly once you get the algae killed and you won't have a roller coaster with the algae.

Cheers ;) I'll be sure to check the site/forums thoroughly to learn more about how to maintain pools. Once I have the results, I'll post it up (which reminds me I should perhaps get my own test kit)

I've got the results: (Doesn't look pretty)

Free Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 7.8
Stabiliser: 0

I've been instructed to add Chlorine, Acid and Algaecide, and to return once water is clear for testing.

It states when algae settles, vacuum to waste and pool must be full.
Firstly, what exactly does vacuum to waste mean? - as I always vacuum to filter then back wash/rinse. Also, it says to fill up pool, but wouldn't that mean the filter won't flow? *sighs* Sorry guys, still learning here :oops:

Cheers.

Your basic problem is lack of CYA. Your SWCG can't keep up with the demand for chlorine because the sun is consuming all of your chlorine.

These three topics will help you get over the current problems with algae:

Defeating Algae

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Shocking Your Pool

To really fix the problem, you need to get your some CYA into the water to allow your system to maintain proper chlorine levels. It takes a while to completely dissolve, so it will be a few days before it is effective.

You can use the Pool Calculator
to figure up how much acid and stabilizer you need. You'll need to check with your SWCG manufacturer to find out what the recommended CYA level is for your generator.

When you vacuum to waste, you bypass the filter and pump water from the vacuum out of the pool. If your pool is really dirty, that will avoid frequent stops to clean your filter. It does use a lot of water though, so it's best to raise the level before you start. The only effect a high water level will have is to reduce the effectiveness of your skimmer in removing debris.

Just a note, I never vacuum to waste. That wastes too much water. I always vacuum to filter, then backwash. It winds up using less water that way. Just keep an eye on your filter pressure and when it rises about 10% over clean, backwash it.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Helps a great deal. I'll read the links thoroughly and start getting to it. By the way, us I'm unable to get things rolling untill next week, is it ok to swim in this current condition?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Few quick questions:

I read the 'Shocking' tutorial, and was wondering if it's ok to use Isocyanuric Acid for shock instead of the other suggested CYA acids?

Also, as I've been running the filter now for 24/7, sometimes it makes a suction noise as I notice the horizontal tube is half full of water. I know I'm doing something wrong...

One other thing I'm a little concerned about - I always used a soft bristle brush which was pretty useless in the past for algae, but now I'm using an 'Algae Brush' that I recently got which has heavy non-abrasive bristles. It has made a HUGE difference, but this should be ok for my marble sheen pool?

Cheers.

We recommend liquid chlorine for the shock process. Even though your pool had 0 CYA, it is best to add CYA separatly so you have control over how much you add to the pool. Bring the CYA up to about 40 ppm, complete the shock process, then add enough CYA to reach 70 ppm total.

As for the pump and filter, make sure the pump basket stays full of water at all times, and check if the filter needs backwashing. The return flow into the pool should be strong when the filter is clean. If the return flow feels weak it may be time to backwash the filter.

Oops, had a little mix up there... It's all coming to me now :p

Ok, my pool has changed dramatically. The algae is pretty much non-existent, and the colour is light blue, although still cloudy where you can't see the bottom at the deep end.

Although I vacuumed to waste before, I've noticed there's still small algae that keeps returning to the pool from vacuuming normal. Safe to say another vacuum to waste?

Here's my results updated:

TC: 10.0
FC: 10.0
pH: 7.4
TA: 110
CA: 75
CYA: 0

Hmm, I've noticed a very small crack in my back filter. :( Seems that'll be the culprit. I saw a filter net the other day which covers around my filter basket which smaller leaves have still been escaping the filter also. What are those (filter net) called?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.